Wembley Tent City Occupation against School Academy is back!

marksimonbrown mark at tlio.org.uk
Fri Jul 11 10:23:19 BST 2008

 From the Latest Press Release from the Wembley Tent City Occupation
dated 30 June 2008 & Jason Parkinson's blog:

TENT CITY IS BACK!
England's longest running and most acrimonious dispute over a proposed
academy school has reached new heights as Wembley teachers and
residents returned to re-squat the proposed privatised school site on
Bridge Road in Wembley, North West London.
http://indymedia.org.uk/en/2008/07/402476.html
http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2008/07/403319.html
http://jasonnparkinson.blogspot.com/2008/07/smash-school-privatisation-wembley.html

  The Wembley Tent City Occupation, which is located on a recreation
ground next to Wembley Park tube station (Metropolitan Line), is
opposed to the Wembley Park Academy school and all UK school
privatisation.

The protestors previously occupied the site for six months and even
took their protest to the trees, occupying tree houses they had built.
The site was vacated when the protestors won a year's extension on the
lease. On Tuesday 15 July 2008 Brent Council representatives will
attend Willesden County Court at 10.30am to seek a court order for the
immediate eviction of the Wembley Sports Ground Tent City Occupation.
Party Friday night. Meet the locals and get involved.
Meet those involved this afternoon/evening - Friday, 11th July, from
3.30pm till late at the "Back on site or pre-eviction party? - you
decide!"

Wembley Tent City Occupation, Bridge Road, Wembley.

Nearest Tube: Wembley Park (Metropolitan Line)
Turn left out the station, walk up the hill to main junction on Bridge
Road, turn left, walk 100 metres, turn left into the gate way to
Wembley Park Sports Ground and you're there.

Buses: 83 from Golders Green Stn, 302 from Kensal Rise Stn, 297 from
Willesden Bus Garage

Ref: www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2008/07/403124.html

As we said in our last press release the council now want to throw
everyone off by 31st July and indeed has threatened immediate
eviction. This high handed threat was after the council had promised
in writing to help with ensuring all businesses would be relocated yet
have done nothing. This includes the Sunflower nursery children.

As Nick Wallis said in his ITV report the council (and ARK) are doing
this as a physical possession as soon as possible to frustrate the
protest.

Hank Roberts, Brent ATL and NUT Secretary said, "The Council refuse to
listen to any opposition to this ill thought out scheme to build a
school on the sports ground. This latest outrage shows the latest in a
long list of disregarding any pact or promise they make to the
community. We aim to win this fight and stop the academy going ahead."

For more details contact 0776 2737 306 or 0784 3282450
hankr at hotmail.com

www.tentcityoccupation.co.uk/

Press contact (and all photos): Jason Parkinson
NUJ & IFJ Freelance Video & Print Journalist
+44 (0)7846 364680
jasonnparkinson.blogspot.com

Gallery

 http://www.tentcityoccupation.co.uk/gallery.html

ITV London Tonight Report:

 http://www.itvlocal.com/london/news/?player=LON_News_15&void=204972

Anti-Academy Teachers Take To The Trees

 http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2007/09/380945.html

Wembley Summer Camp Open: Squat The Land, Smash School Privatisation

 http://indymedia.org.uk/en/2008/07/402476.html

Wembley Anti-Academy Tent City Facing Eviction: Party And Resist!!!

 http://indymedia.org.uk/en/2008/07/403124.html

Wembley Teachers Say No To Privatised Schooling

http://jasonnparkinson.blogspot.com/2008/06/wembley-teachers-say-no-to-privatised.html

200 School Pupils In Huts On A Construction Site

http://jasonnparkinson.blogspot.com/2008/06/200-school-pupils-in-huts-on.html

The Boil on Busson's Butt
 http://jasonnparkinson.blogspot.com/2008/07/boil-on-bussons-butt.html

Save Our Schools 22-minute film available on Reel News issue 13
Stop them Privatising Our Schools available on Reel News issue 12
Wembley Occupation available on Reel News issue 10

 http://www.reelnews.co.uk/