Ecotowns Report

Mark mark at tlio.org.uk
Thu Jun 26 12:36:43 BST 2008

Re: the Report critical of eco-town plans
Nick Rosen wrote: "The members on this committee are unlikely to complain
very hard - they were chosen to be a nice compliant bunch."

The 15-member ecotowns challenge panel, which has been conceived to be
independent from government, include Red or Dead founder Wayne Hemingway
and  tv presenters Kris Murrin and Joanna Yarrow. Other notable members
include Sue Riddlestone - Director of the BioRegional Development Group,
and Sir Peter Hall - President, Town and Country Planning Association.

Joanna Yarrow is the founder of the sustainability consultancy 'Beyond
Green', who acted as "sustainability advisors" to a proposal by
'Ropemakers Properties Ltd' (a subsidiary of the BP Pension Fund) for the
controversial outer suburb development of Harlow North, a proposed
development of 25,000 houses on greenbelt land.

The real pressure for this development has apparantly long been conceived
as a necessary residential area for the projected growth of local
employment in the area as a result of anticipated expansion of Stansted
Airport.
Ref: http://www.stopharlownorth.com/timeline.htm

The ecotowns report has been criticised for falling short on zero-carbon,
car-curbing and local employment aims.