Democracy of the People, a legacy of the Diggers and Levellers?

Michael Macpherson mm at iniref.org
Fri Jun 27 11:37:29 BST 2008

More democracy from "below". Or should it be "from above"?

In Swiss descriptions of how their country is governed, the order of
things is illustrated by a pyramid standing on its apex.  Why? Because
it's natural to show that their democratic system puts the citizens in
charge. The various tiers of government -- town councils, cantons
(states of the federation), the national parliament and second chamber
(Bundesrat) are shown further down in the hierarchy. By citizens'
initiative the Swiss people can demand a veto ballot on any law, and
even change the constitution. In local government the citizens control
financial budgets, land development and planning decisions.

About half of the states of the USA and a number of other countries
quite similar to ours also have citizens "direct" democracy, i.e. the
right to select and decide on public issues as well as to elect politicians.

In the UK, its countries, cities and towns our democracy is about a
hundred years behind the "state of the art".

For how much longer will we continue to accept the "elective
dictatorship" (and rule by "quango") which passes for democracy in this
country?

At I&Rgb a campaign has been launched to promote and educate about
citizens' democracy. Please contact us via info @ iniref.org and visit
the web site http://www.iniref.org/index.html  We aim to expand the
campaign by finding people who want to become active, see the link to
"volunteer" http://www.iniref.org/crew.html

We would like to co-operate with TLIO and might begin by asking the
question:
Democracy of the People with "initiative and referendum": a legacy of
the Diggers and Levellers?

Michael Macpherson
Peace researcher and medical doctor