[diggers350] Re: normal investigative journalism?

ben ben at riseup.net
Mon May 5 16:48:21 BST 2008

Personally, and this is highly unusual, I think I kind of agree with
Tony (assuming I am interpreting what he wrote as he intended). The
squatters estate agents was and is as much a stunt as a form of direct
action and as part of the days of action for squats and autonomous
spaces it would have made sense to have considered and planned how to
make use of any mainstream media attention that came our way.

The last decade or more has seen activist distrust of the media at an
all time high and while I don't disagree with that distrust I am
constantly frustrated by the withdrawal of engagement with the
mainstream media that follows that point of view.  As much as I think
we should be developing our own media that doesn't mean we should
ignore the opportunities offered by the established media.

There was a time when any action worth the name had at least one
person doing media. Usually that would be somebody at home or work
ready to send out the press released the moment they got the word that
it was going down and somebody on the ground primed to do interviews
when the press arrived. Add to that a tame photographer and perhaps a
video activist or two able to provide TV news with footage.

Since the inception of indymedia it appears many activists are content
with having perhaps 8,000 people read a badly written report of what
the police did in response to their action and perhaps post a dozen
badly composed and almost identical photos of some cops or people
holding banners. That's not media, that's a blog and a bad one at
that.

I've long given up trying to get consensus on media strategy within
collective projects so I am as much to blame as anyone for the lack of
thought and discussion given to the subject. However I think that
things have looked up a bit in the form of the climate camp media
group that shows that grassroots direct action groups and collective
processes can still formulate and enact a positive media policy.

Ben