UK Government make it easy on to get around planning objections for power stations, motorways, etc

Pamela McLean pamela.mclean at candeaconsulting.co.uk
Mon May 26 17:34:33 BST 2008

_ This is scary

Please write to your MP for a more democratic Planning Bill!

Deadline Monday 02.06.2008!

Currently being whisked through Parliament, almost unnoticed by the
press,
is one of the most anti-democratic pieces of legislation ever to be
attempted in this country.

If the Planning Bill becomes law, in its current state, opposition to
large
projects such as nuclear power stations or new motorways will become far
more difficult. We will effectively lose our right to be heard at
hearings.
Opposition will take the form of written evidence only and apart from an
"open floor" session, where the developers need not be present, there
will
be no other means to oppose. It seems that we will be very much
distanced
from any source of information or any voice loud enough to be heard!

Once a large project has been finalized and executed by an
"Infrastructure Planning Commission", an un-elected body with hitherto
unknown powers, the IPC will be above Acts of Parliament. The IPC is not
even answerable to the relevant ministers!

Friends of the Earth demands that the Bill should:

a.. Take climate change into account
b.. Ensure that the General Public have a right to be heard at enquiries

c.. That Ministers remain accountable for decisions

There is very little time left, as this Bill is at the report stage, and
is
to be debated in the Commons on the 2nd June 2008.

Please spare a few minutes and go to this link below:

http://www.foe.co.uk/resource/local/planning/news/planning_bill.html

or
www.foe.co.uk/resource/local/planning/press_for_change/plan_bill_climate
_rig
hts/index/html

If you are in agreement with the contents of the template letter, then
please send it to your MP. We would also be very grateful if you could
forward this email on to friends and colleagues>

_,_._,___