Twenty-First Century Feudalism

james armstrong james36armstrong at hotmail.com
Tue May 27 07:48:26 BST 2008

Our land law deeply supported by the constitution dates substantially from the military arrangements of a king, William the Conqueror, largely uninfluenced by the democratic process. It seems important therefore to hear what a  respected historian John Richard Green says.

" As the conqueror of England he introduced the military organisation of feudalism, so far as was necessary for the secure possession of his conquests.
….the desperate and universal  resistance of his English subjects  forced William to hold by  the sword what the sword had won. And an army strong enough to crush at any moment a national revolt was necessary  for the preservation of his throne. Such an army could only be maintained by a vast confiscation of the soil."

Comment
Desperate , but unfortunately not universal resistance to exploitation  is the theme of British people's history. The gains in Britain so far tending to a true democracy have been made in personal freedom from slavery. Now debt slavery replaces former industrial slavery, domestic slavery  and agricultural slavery. In the march towards personal freedom our land has been left behind still in the institutionalised grasp of the land monopolists.

James