Eviction legal aid thresholds raised in Scotland

Tony Gosling news at tlio.org.uk
Fri Nov 7 12:39:12 GMT 2008

Civil legal aid thresholds raised

The upper threshold for civil legal aid is to be
raised from £9,781 to £25,000 next year.

Justice Minister Kenny MacAskill claims this will
increase eligibility for one fifth of the entire Scottish population.

The announcement was made at a legal aid conference in Dunblane

"I have long considered it unfair that people of
relatively modest means can find themselves
unable to pursue a complex and expensive legal action," he said.

"As a first step towards correcting that
unfairness we will increase the financial
eligibility limits for civil legal aid with an
appropriately tapered contribution regime. From
next spring, the upper limit for disposable
income will increase to £25,000 which should mean
that around three quarters of the adult
population will be potentially eligible for legal
aid. For the first time in many a year, legal aid
is being rolled out, not rolled back."

http://www.thefirmmagazine.com/news/1134/Civil_legal_aid_thresholds_raised.html