CERN rappers & Journalists at demonstrations

Gerrard Winstanley office at evnuk.org.uk
Thu Sep 11 02:20:21 BST 2008

For the love of the much maligned Big Brother - Jon Ronson
http://for-the-love-of.wowtv.tv/episodes/big-brother

The CERN rap - Why do these European Scientists have American accents?
Bit of a PR give away but an enjoyable music vid nevertheless
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j50ZssEojtM

Personally I'm with Tariq Ghaffur in this week's Civil War at the Met.
Thanks to Mark for this:

VIDEO: The NUJ has released a short film highlighting some of the
problems faced by journalists covering public demonstrations.
http://www.nuj.org.uk/innerPagenuj.html?docid=910

On Monday 9 September 2008 NUJ General Secretary Jeremy Dear delivered
a slamming attack on civil liberties and press freedom at the Brighton
TUC conference. The BBC video of the speech is here (59 minutes in).
http://jasonnparkinson.blogspot.com/2008/09/press-freedom-collateral-damage.html

NUJ Press Freedom film: "Collateral Damage"
Watch it at:
http://current.com/items/89284474_press_freedom_collateral_damage

Monday 8 September 2008: Today Jeremy Dear, the General Secretary of
the National Union of Journalists (NUJ), moved a motion at the Trade
Union Congress (TUC) live on the BBC Parliament Channel in Brighton on
the issue of civil liberties and police surveillance and harassment of
working journalists.

Along side this, the NUJ has released a short film called Press
Freedom: "Collateral Damage" which tackles the issue of police
surveillance of bona fide journalists who document political dissent.

The film is a damming account of the Orwellian techniques and methods
of the Metropolitan Police Forward Intelligence Team (FIT Squad) over
the last few years.

This film includes evidence of the FIT Squad targeting working
journalists and footage of police attacking journalists when covering
protests. The film also has an interview with Jeremy Dear and
photographers outside New Scotland Yard, the headquarters of the
Metropolitan Police.

The FIT Squad is a police unit that is trained to gather evidence at
football matches, political protests and over the last year it has
been used by officers in some parts of the country to target local
youth on council estates for alleged anti-social behaviour.

The beacon of a free and democratic society is a free press,
unhindered by intimidation, surveillance and violence, if the press is
no longer free to operate and document political unrest the country is
no longer free or democratic.

Press Freedom: "Collateral Damage" is just a taste of an ongoing
project initiated in February 2008, using four years of personal
archive footage, to be finalised as a feature documentary spanning
five years of international protest and police coverage - eta: Autumn
2009.

More links to the ongoing story here:

On Monday 9 September 2008 NUJ General Secretary Jeremy Dear delivered
a slamming attack on civil liberties and press freedom at the Brighton
TUC conference. The BBC video of the speech is here (59 minutes in).
http://jasonnparkinson.blogspot.com/2008/09/press-freedom-collateral-damage.html

Home Secretary tells NUJ police surveillance of journalists is
"operational decision"
http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=41549

VIDEO: The NUJ has released a short film highlighting some of the
problems faced by journalists covering public demonstrations.
http://www.nuj.org.uk/innerPagenuj.html?docid=910

Home Secretary says police may restrict photographers
http://www.thejournalist.org.uk/Aug08/news_photogs.html

Press Freedom: `Collateral Damage' - a documentary film.
http://marcvallee.wordpress.com/category/journalism/

Police may have guidelines on dealing with the press, but
photo­graphers tell ELINOR ZUKE that on the ground it can be a
different matter
http://www.thejournalist.org.uk/Aug08/feat_cops_main.html