tesco battle

Massimo suburbanstudio at runbox.com
Wed Aug 12 02:03:08 BST 2009

11 Aug 09, 6:13pm (about 8 hours ago)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/aug/10/tesco-planning-superstore-independent-shops?commentid=b733d2e9-9105-499a-97f9-951eec508784

Have you thought of putting your case to the Secretary of State (or
whoever is the equivalent in Wales) and demanding that (s)he 'calls in'
the application for his/her own decision? If you can undermine the Tesco
case and sustain the argument that the local authority is too weak /
scared / under-resourced to fight, but would probably refuse if they
could then there is a chance that you would get such a 'call-in'. Then
there would be a public inquiry but (as I understand it - and I'm not a
lawyer) the local authority would not be liable for costs.