[diggers350] allotments in Camden Town? Difficult!

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 14 14:10:57 BST 2009

I agree with Heather though did not have such good language to
describe the effect.

All I will add to this is that is it proof that there is plenty of
land available, to grow abundant food on, to feed everyone in the
world, with room to spare. If only we would use it more wisely.

What we hear from Hilary Benn recently is no more than further
ignorance and stupidity forming policy. That we also hear Porrit and
Attenborough also telling us there is not enough food and to grow it
for the poor will make climate change worse worries me immensely. They
are blaming the poor for the crimes of the idle wealthy. Us!

Brgds Robin "Robin Smith" <robinsmith3 at googlemail.com>,

2009/8/14 Heather Wetzel <heather.wetzel at oisc.gov.uk>:
 > Hi Mark
>
> My views:
>
> The reason why the agricultural price of land is high is because of the
> subsidies the farmers get from the CAP.  Any subsidy or grant will
> eventually increase the price of the land  - rent or freehold - to include
> the real value of the land plus the value of the subsidies.  That is how
> owners of large farms get rich and why so many tenants farmers cannot
> survive.
>
> If there was a land value tax and no subsidies for farmers, the price of
> land would fall and allow more farmers to buy or rent land for farming.
The

 Subject: Re: Professional Land Reform Group - PLRG Research Sub-Committee

--
"We hear men speaking for us of new laws strong and sweet /Yet is there no
man speaketh as we speak in the street.”