Somerset Gypsy family facing eviction

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Aug 20 22:30:09 BST 2009

North Curry nr. Martock

Gypsy family is facing eviction

Lucy Hughes called for the family to be allowed to stay

A family of Romany Gypsies who own land in Somerset near Martock face
eviction after a long-running battle with planning authorities.

The Hughes family has failed to get permission to put permanent
buildings on the site despite numerous appeals.

The High Court has ruled the land is a flood plain and cannot be built on.

The local authority said its main priority now is the nine children
who live there, and it is trying to find an alternative plot for the family.

Ric Pallister, deputy leader of South Somerset District Council,
said: "It's been through our own planning committee and through the
appeal route and it's been to the High Court.

"The High Court decided that area of land was unsuitable to be
granted planning permission."

But Lucy Hughes, the daughter of the site owner, said her family had
lived on the site for 15 years and had been in the area for 60 years
since her father was a little boy.

"We've been brought up around here and I don't think it's right for
us to go on the road," she said.

The family has until the end of August to leave the site.

see BBC video here
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/8194665.stm

+44 (0)7786 952037
http://bcfm.org.uk/?page_id=3659
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic poison which
alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung