[diggers350] Britain's last Court Leet in Portland, Dorset?

David Bangs dave.bangs at virgin.net
Fri Aug 21 22:06:49 BST 2009

Dear James,

I've no objections to the state (yes, the bourgeois state) owning all that
ground. I object, though, to their managing it on commercial lines, just
like any other private landowner, and not managing it for the broad
community interest - ie outside of market constraints.

Here in Sussex the Crown Estate used to own the 'Poynings Estate', which
included somewhat over 2000 acres, with much gorgeous Downland around the
Devil's Dyke near Brighton, and a whole series of let farms, part in the Low
Weald and part on the Downs themselves. They sold this landholding in 1979,
at a time when I was living away from Brighton.

Looking back, I deeply regret the opportunity that was then lost to claw
back this holding for genuine social purposes and to make it a core public
property within the new South Downs National Park. As it was, the estate was
largely bought by its sitting tenant farmers - and one golf course. These
ex-tenant farmers' management has since been entirely of a type with any
other biggish commercial private  farmers - big commercial pheasant
shooting, neglect and erosion of important wildlife habitats, hostility to
public access, stripping out of land-based labour, selling off of important
vernacular farm building assemblages etc.

In contrast, in 1994-5 we fought a sharp campaign against the attempt of
Brighton Council - the local state - to sell of its 13,000 acre Downland
farmed estate. We won. The fight goes on to convert this estate to genuine
social purposes and to stop its primary use being to provide a second-rate
source of rental income to the cash-strapped Council. We have had our
victories there, though, and I dread to think what that landscape would have
become if we had lost and the estate had been privatised, chiefly to its
tenants in occupation. The story of what happened to one neighbouring
privatised council farm stands as a grim testimony to that...

Various arms of the bourgeois state also own huge public estates in defence
land, health service and education service land, and so on. The local state,
mostly in the form of local councils, have huge public landholdings which
are not in any way optimally used.

I deeply object to the very existence of the bourgeois state's army, just as
I do to the Crown, but without the public holding of the defence lands the
glories of Salisbury Plain would have long been lost to commercial
agriculture. No chance for the return of the Great Bustard then !!

Politics is always contradictory. We fight for the existence of the National
Health service, yet we hate the undemocratic - and now increasingly
commercial - way in which it is run. We fight for the state owned education
system, yet we hate the institutions of oppression which our schools are in
practice. We fight for council housing, yet we hate the state's neglect and
ripping off of council tenants.

And...we fight against the privatisation of any public lands, whether they
be Crown Estate, playing fields, hospitals, council homes, or County Council
smallholdings. At least in public ownership they have the potential to be
used for the real public good !!

Dave Bangs, countryside activist and ex-convenor Brighton and Hove Defend
Council Housing