As the political consensus collapses, now all dissenters face suppression

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Mon May 18 23:23:05 BST 2009

The report mentioned in the article is at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/download/ehippies/q02/index.shtml

P.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/may/18/police-protest-freedom-of-
speech

As the political consensus collapses, now all dissenters face suppression

Peaceful protest - or 'domestic extremism' - is being put down with increasing
violence by our police forces

George Monbiot, The Guardian, Tuesday 19th May 2009

The principal cause of man's unhappiness is that he has learnt to stay quietly
in his own room. If our needs are not met, if justice is not done, it is
because we are not prepared to leave our homes and agitate for change. Blaise
Pascal ("the sole cause of man's unhappiness is that he does not know how to
stay quietly in his own room") couldn't have been more wrong.

We do not starve, we are not arbitrarily imprisoned, we may vote, travel and
read and write what we wish only because of the political activism of previous
generations. Almost all MPs will acknowledge this. Were it not for public
protest they wouldn't be MPs.

Yet, though the people of this country remain as mild and as peaceful as they
have ever been, our MPs have introduced a wider range of repressive measures
than at any time since the second world war. A long list of laws – the 1997
Protection from Harassment Act, Terrorism Act 2000, Regulation of
Investigatory Powers Act 2000, the 2005 Serious Crime and Police Act and many
others – treat peaceful protesters as if they are stalkers, vandals, thugs and
terrorists. Thousands of harmless, public-spirited people now possess criminal
records. This legislation has been enforced by policing which becomes more
aggressive and intrusive by the month. The police attacks on the G20 protests
(which are about to be challenged by a judicial review launched by Climate
Camp) are just the latest expression of this rising state violence. Why is it
happening?

Before I try to answer this, let me give you an idea of just how weird
policing in Britain has become. A few weeks ago, like everyone in mid-Wales, I
received a local policing summary from the Dyfed-Powys force. It contained a ­
section headed Terrorism and Domestic Extremism. "Work undertaken is not
solely focused on the threat from ­international terrorists. Attention has
also been paid to the potential threat that domestic extremists and
campaigners can pose." I lodged a freedom of information request to try to
discover what this meant. What threat do ­campaigners pose?

I've just been told by the police that they don't intend to reply within the
statutory period, or to tell me when they will. I'll complain of course, and
(in 2019 or so) I'll let you know the result. But Paul Mobbs of the Free Range
Network has found what appears to be an explanation. Under the heading
"Protect[ing] the country from both terrorism and domestic extremism", the
Dyfed-Powys Police website repeats the line about domestic extremists and
campaigners. "In this context, the Force was praised for its management of the
slaughter of what was felt to be a sacred animal from the Skanda Vale
religious community in Carmarthenshire." You might remember it: this Hindu
community tried to prevent Shambo the bull from being culled by the government
after he tested positive for TB. His defenders sought a judicial review and
launched a petition. When that failed, they sang and prayed. That's all.

Mobbs has also found a bulletin circulated among Welsh forces at the end of
last year, identifying the "new challenges and changes" the police now face.
Under "Environmental" just two are listed: congestion charging and "eco-
terrorism". Eco-terrorism is a charge repeatedly levelled against the
environment movement, mostly by fossil fuel lobbyists. But, as far as I can
discover, there has not been a single recorded instance of a planned attempt
to harm people in the cause of environmental protection in the UK over the
past 30 years or more. So what do the police mean by eco-terrorism? It appears
to refer to any environmental action more radical than writing letters to your
MP.

The Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo) now runs three units whose
purpose is to tackle another phenomenon it has never defined: domestic
extremism. These are the National Extremism Tactical Coordination Unit
(Netcu), the Welsh Extremism and Counter-Terrorism Unit and the National
Public Order Intelligence Unit. Because Acpo is not a public body but a
private limited company, the three bodies are exempt from freedom of
information laws and other kinds of public accountability, even though they
are funded by the Home Office and deploy police officers from regional forces. So
it's hard to work out exactly what they do, apart from libelling peaceful
protesters. I wrote a column in December about the smears published by Netcu,
which described villagers in Oxfordshire peacefully seeking to prevent a power
company from filling their local lake with fly ash as a "domestic extremist
campaign". It also sought to smear peace campaigners, Greenpeace and Climate
Camp with the same charge. Netcu's site went down on the day my column was
published and hasn't been restored since. But we have only patchy evidence of
what else these three unaccountable bodies have been up to.

They appear to have adopted the role once filled by Special Branch's counter-
subversion campaign, which spied on Labour activists, including Jack Straw and
Peter Mandelson (sadly the spooks failed to bump them off while there was still
time). But as Paul Mobbs points out in his new report on Britain's secretive
police forces, today the police appear to be motivated not by party political
bias but by hostility towards all views which do not reflect the official
consensus.

Mobbs proposes that mainstream politics in Britain cannot respond to realities
such as global and national inequality, economic collapse, resource depletion
and climate change. Any politics that does not endorse the liberal economic
consensus, which challenges the concentration of wealth or power, or which
doesn't accept that growth and consumerism can be sustained indefinitely, is
off-limits. Just as the suffragettes were repressed because their ideas – not
their actions – presented a threat to the state, the government and the police
must suppress a new set of dangerous truths. By treating protesters as
domestic extremists, the state marginalises their concerns: if people are
extremists, their views must be extreme. Repression, in a nominal democracy,
cannot operate accountably, so the state uses police units which are exempt
from public scrutiny.

I am sure Mobbs is right. There is no place for dissenting views in mainstream
politics. I was told recently by a Labour backbencher – a respected MP
untainted by the expenses scandal – that "if the door was open just an inch to
new ideas, I would stay on. But it has been slammed shut, so I'm resigning at
the next election." Our grossly unfair electoral system, which responds to the
concerns of just a few thousand floating voters and shuts out the minor
parties; the vicious crackdown on dissent within parliament by whips and spin
doctors; the neoliberalism forced upon governments by corporate power and the
Washington consensus; the terror of the tabloid press – all combine to create
a political culture which cannot respond to altered realities without
collapsing. What cannot be accommodated must be suppressed.

The police respond as all police forces do; protecting the incasts from the
outcasts, keeping the barbarians from the gate. The philosophy of policing has
not changed; they just become more violent as the citadel collapses.

- --

(Edward Burroughs, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/ebo/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml