Fri17Jul - Digging The Future - networking event, Hockerton, Notts.

Maxey L. l.maxey at swansea.ac.uk
Thu May 21 18:29:09 BST 2009

Please forward to those who may be interested

Digging the Future Event at Hockerton Housing Project 17th July
http://www.multimap.com/s/gnclKy1I
http://www.hockertonhousingproject.org.uk/

Keith Halfacree, Lewis Holloway and Larch Maxey

Since July 2007 we have been involved in a participatory research
project, funded by the Leverhulme Trust, looking at the experiences of
people who have 'gone back to the land' in one form or another in the
UK. The aim of the research is to help us understand the experiences of
those actually working the land in modern day Britain, to see what we
can learn from these experiences and to help raise awareness of the
challenges and opportunities this presents.

To this end we undertook a series of interviews with people in the back
to the land movement and have been working with 8 case studies in the NE
England and SW Wales. Half of the case studies are single households,
half are communities. There is also a mix experienced and newer case
studies.

To mark the end of our 2 year research project and to begin sharing our
findings and developing policy proposals and other ideas we are hosting
a day at Hockerton on 17th July 2009. Whilst places are limited, if you
are interested in meeting others involved in the back to the land
movement and helping develop ideas for policy and other changes which
will help back to the land initiatives thrive and play their role in the
sustainability transition then please get in touch!

The day will include an opportunity for people from different Back to
the Land and Low Impact projects to meet each other and share
experiences and ideas. The emphasis will be informal, interactive and
participatory. There will be space for short presentations to prompt and
inspire discussion as well as a tour of Hockerton Housing Project. We
are keen to harness the collective knowledge and ideas of those present
to inform policy and take away ideas for action, so we write up the
proceedings as a policy document/briefing/whatever else people think is
most useful!

Places are free and numbers are limited to book early to register your
interest.

One suggestion that has already been proposed by several participants is
that we use the event to gain an overview of people's experiences of the
planning system, so we will also be asking participants to send a
Freedom of Information Act request to their Local Planning Authority and
have a standard request drafted. Anyone interested can take part of this
process whether or not you attend on the 17th

For further information on any of the above and to book a place contact
L.maxey at swan.ac.uk  01792 602316

Dr. Larch Maxey

Swansea University/Prifysgol Abertawe

L.Maxey at swansea.ac.uk

Out now! "Low Impact Development: The Future in our hands." Edited by
Jenny Pickerill and Larch Maxey
http://lowimpactdevelopment.wordpress.com/

http://www.ecologicalland.coop/

www.lammas.org.uk <http://www.lammas.org.uk/>

http://www.gcyf.org.uk/

Help HRH The Prince of Wales stop the destruction of tropical
rainforests - add your name to show your support:
http://www.princesrainforestsproject.org/show-your-support