Haringey Independence Day: Community DIY for the Credit Crunch - Saturday 30th May

michael gardiner michael_gardiner at hotmail.co.uk
Fri May 22 15:31:18 BST 2009

Haringey Independence Day: Community DIY
for the Credit Crunch
Saturday
30th May, 12
noon to 6pm
(with kids
activities from 10.15am)
West Green
Learning Centre, West Green Road, N15
 The recession might be making life
more difficult for many of us, but campaign and community groups in Haringey are
looking at alternative ways of organising and making real changes to improve our
lives.

Haringey Independence
Day brings these
groups together for a day of discussions, workshops, stalls and films.
It's a day of independence from party politics (not an expense claim in sight),
religion and government, where individuals and groups in Haringey can exchange
ideas, get inspired and make our own plans for a summer of radical
recession-busting and resistance. A wide variety of groups will be
participating, including Haringey Solidarity Group, Sustainable Haringey,
Naturewise, Haringey Federation of Residents’ Associations, Haringey Cycling
Campaign and Haringey Independent Cinema.

From
growing your own food and cycling, to looking at radical solutions to
redundancies and repossessions, the day includes a whole range of activities for
all ages. There’s a Dr Bike session and a ‘Give or Take’ community
recycling event. Film showings throughout the day include Post Code Wars
followed by a discussion by the pupils from Park View Academy who made it, and there’s a
special guest performance from poet and songwriter John Hegley, organised
by the Kids Collective Arts group.
 Local resident Marlene Barrett,
one of the people involved in organising the day, said: "Last year’s Haringey
Independence Day was a huge success, with over 250 people taking part, and we
hope this year’s will be even bigger and better. There’s something for everyone
- an opportunity to share news, views, ideas and experiences, to find out what’s
going on, to get inspired, to get involved or maybe to start something
new."
 Another local resident and
organiser, Tony Wood, said: “We want to find ways to support each other, without
relying on banks and other institutions who just prey on us for profit.”

 NOTES:
1.
Full details of workshops and stalls at http://www.haringey.org.uk/independenceday
2.
This free event is organised by individuals and supported by Haringey
Independent Cinema, Radical History Network, Haringey Solidarity Group and
Haringey Justice for Palestinians.
3. The
venue is West Green Learning Centre, Park View Academy, West Green Road, N15 3RB. The building is fully wheelchair
accessible.
4.
Kids are welcome (with children's films from 10.15am to noon) and there’s a free
crèche.