Peace not War - the 1 million demo/democracy

Michael Macpherson-Strut mm at iniref.org
Wed Nov 25 09:08:53 GMT 2009

With citizen-led direct democracy, half a million voters would have the
RIGHT to demand a law-making referendum. Community activism and
"Raetedemokratie" (workplace), however desirable, will not suffice.

In order to push through reform which would give us this sort of
participative democracy, a campaign will be needed which has convinced
abroad spectrum of the electorate.

Among an impressive collection of recommendations for reform of our
democracy and governance, the Power Inquiry put forward a proposal for
partial direct democracy (Report 2006, Recommendation 24). The proposal
had two stages, a citizens' initiative which if successful must be
debated in Parliament. To reach this stage it was suggested that 400,000
voter-endorsements (signatures) would be required. If Parliament rejects
the proposal, then the proposing group (plus others of like mind) could
push through a demand for plebiscite by collecting a further 400,000
endorsements. Additionally, as in other countries, Parliament would be
able to put forward an alternative proposal and both must be put to the
electorate for decision.

Of course the exact numbers and procedures need to be debated publicly.

This sort of democracy, citizen-led, is unpopular with politicians. In
oder to get elements of direct democracy introduced we need a focussed
campaign. Some campaign tactics for the coming election may be found
here http://www.iniref.org/carta.htm

and more information about direct democracy, initiative, referendum and
recall here http://www.iniref.org/index.enter.html

I&R ~ GB Citizens' Initiative and Referendum
Campaign for direct democracy in Britain