Golfers Denounce Trump

Simon Fairlie chapter7 at tlio.org.uk
Mon Oct 5 08:49:35 BST 2009

Even the magazine Golf Week thinks Trump and other golf course
magnates are out of order.

See below, found at http://www.golfweek.com/news/2009/oct/02/scotland-
sale/

ST. ANDREWS, Scotland – The home of golf seems to be up for sale.
Donald Trump and Herb Kohler are living proof that money can buy
anything.

Trump’s planned golf course on the Menie Estate near Aberdeen keeps
thundering on toward realization. Trump received good news last night
when Aberdeen Council refused to rule out compulsory purchase orders
for four properties hampering the project.

The prospect of four families being turned out of their homes for the
sake of a golf course does not bear thinking about. I’m sure whole
villages have been shifted in other parts of the world to make room
for golf courses, but we’re supposed to be civilized over here.
Imagine what the families feel like not knowing if they are going to
continue living in their own home.

The argument for building the golf course is the business it will
bring into the region. I’m not so sure.

Scotland already has golf courses that don’t seem to be making much
of a go of it in this financial climate. Look at Turnberry and the
ludicrous money Leisurecorp has spent on it. The £85 million spent
will take a long time to recoup.

Why Trump and his people think a luxury resort in Aberdeen will have
any better chance of success than Turnberry is beyond me. Aberdeen is
a nice city, but the season doesn’t last very long.

Besides, Scotland doesn’t need any more high-end resorts. What it
needs is affordable, well-run hotels and golf courses. We’ve got
courses in this country charging upwards of £150 per round. Why pay
that when you can visit any number of gems for a fraction of the price?

As for here at St. Andrews, Trump is said to be interested in buying
Hamilton Hall, the former student residence behind the 18th green
that was recently earmarked to become luxury apartments.

Trump has competition from Old Course Hotel owner Herb Kohler and
Irish businessman Dermot Desmond. Kohler visited the property during
this week’s Alfred Dunhill Championship and is said to be considering
an offer to buy the now derelict sandstone building.

Former golf course designer Richard Wax is dismayed that this part of
St Andrews heritage might fall into the hands of wealthy businessmen
and will only be for the elite.

“The town’s core message is ‘golf for all’ but increasingly, ‘Private/
Keep Out’ signals are being generated to the detriment of the image
of the town,” Wax told The Times newspaper.

Wax is fronting a consortia to try to buy Hamilton Hall. “Our project
is conceived to regenerate the economic life of St. Andrews and Fife.
It would bring quality business into town on a year-round basis for
the benefit of hotels, bed and breakfasts and the commercial activity
across the board.”

Small businesses in the town already feel aggrieved that Kohler’s Old
Course hotel gets preferential treatment from the Links Trust because
wealthy guests can get tee times through booking rooms in his hotel.
Needless to say, any chance that he might take over another part of
the town would not go down well.

There is a good chance both projects will get the go ahead and be for
the wealthy elite only. The endangered residents on the Menie Estate
are living proof that cash is King in Scotland for Sale.

Begin forwarded message: