Save Bristrol's Stapleton Allotments!!!!

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Apr 1 01:59:37 BST 2010

It's Not Just a Park and Ride

  <http://bristol.indymedia.org/newswire/bristol>bristol

<http://bristol.indymedia.org/newswire/theenvironment>the
environment | <http://bristol.indymedia.org/newswire/feature>feature

Save Stapleton Allotments!!!!
http://bristol.indymedia.org/article/692143

featured image

Stapleton Allotments
It may not be everyone’s idea of paradise, but
soon it will be paved over with a ‘parking lot’.
The land was donated to the people of Bristol and
has been used for generations as a market garden.
I touch the history that lies within that rich,
fertile soil every time I dig up the little clay
pipes and tools left by my fellow gardener’s from
years ago. Probably people like me, not rich
landowners, but people who can make their life a
bit better by growing their own produce.
Stapleton Allotments should remain the people’s
agricultural land. I might begrudge the prospect
of moving sites and starting again – but as I
think beyond myself, and my needs, I realise that
much of the site is about to be lost to future generations, forever.

Despite the agricultural covenant, the land will
be turned into a car park. The land that will
remain will be polluted by traffic fumes from a
major new motorway junction. I don’t believe
Bristol Council has the right to develop this
land. Councillors are our elected
representatives, and the people say a resounding
‘No’ to the Park and Ride. Some people don’t want
to look at It, some don’t want to be in an
endless traffic jam. Most of us don’t want to
lose what little green space we have for wildlife
and recreation. I don’t believe it is a case of
‘not in my back yard’, as many allotmenteers do
not live next to the site, such is the shortage
of allotments in Bristol. The decision to site
the Park & Ride at Stapleton is for economic
reasons, for a start it is free for councils to
dig up as many allotments as they like, if it can
be justified economically. That includes nature
reserves and Sites of Special Scientific Interest
(just look at Cardiff Bay now). No green space is
truly safe from development. What we need to ask
ourselves, as the Council spends our money is this:

How will the Park and Ride benefit the people of
Bristol? Why can’t it be located further up the M32 or near the M4 or M5?

Why can’t they make more use of Bristol Parkway
or develop light rail alternatives?

How will the Park and Ride help the environment?
Basically it is an out of town car park for Cabot
Circus that you have to drive to. Ideally we
should have more local economies so that people
do not need to use their car to go shopping at all.

But realistically, who will park there? Then wait
for a bus, and pay a bus fare when you could be
parked in Cabot Circus within ten minutes and
with less hassle? It is only 3 miles from the
allotment site to Cabot Circus after all. I don’t
believe the Park and Ride will help people in
north Bristol go to work in Hengrove.
In the long term, in the face of Peak Oil and
Climate Change, a Park and Ride will become
obsolete, but by that time Bristol will have lost
some of its best agricultural land under tonnes
of tarmac. I am not opposed to better public
transport links across Bristol, or indeed much of
the Rapid Transport scheme. I just do not see the
point of developing allotment land for a car park
that you have to go out of your way to drive to,
in areas that are already well served by bus
routes into town. If you look at the proposed
routes, the Park and Ride could go further away,
and people from north Bristol would already be on
a bus route if they wanted to use public
transport, they would have no need to drive all
the way to Stapleton first: It is not a case of
no Park and Ride, no rapid transport. The council can find an alternative site

Comments (8 of 8)

Jump To Comment:
<http://bristol.indymedia.org/article/692143?&condense_comments=false#comment47731>1
<http://bristol.indymedia.org/article/692143?&condense_comments=false#comment47735>2
<http://bristol.indymedia.org/article/692143?&condense_comments=false#comment47736>3
<http://bristol.indymedia.org/article/692143?&condense_comments=false#comment47738>4
<http://bristol.indymedia.org/article/692143?&condense_comments=false#comment47742>5
<http://bristol.indymedia.org/article/692143?&condense_comments=false#comment47784>6
<http://bristol.indymedia.org/article/692143?&condense_comments=false#comment47786>7
<http://bristol.indymedia.org/article/692143?&condense_comments=false#comment47816>8

Have Your Say!
author
  by bristolbadger13
author
 Mon Mar 22, 2010
17:35<http://bristol.indymedia.org/report_posts?subject=Abusive%20Post%20Report:%20Comment%2047731%20with%20title:%20Have%20Your%20Say%21&message=Abusive%20Post%20Report:%20Comment%2047731%20with%20title:%20Have%20Your%20Say%21%0AParent%20Story%20title:%20It%27s%20Not%20Just%20a%20Park%20and%20Ride%0Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fbristol.indymedia.org%2Findex.php%3Fobj_id%3D53%26story_id%3D692143%26%23comment_id%3D47731%0A%0AEnter+your+reason+here+-+please+do+not+remove+the+above+link+as+it+will+allow+an+editor+to+easily+remove+the+offending+content>

The worst part is that no-one was even told about
the development directly, not even the allotment
office, none of the smallholders or allotment
holders. It has all been announced piece by
piece. We have all had to find out for ourselves,
largely with the coverage from the Evening Post
and by word of mouth. This is not just a Park and
Ride, it will be an enormous development, costing
upwards of £200 million pounds.
It will include the re-modelling of Bristol City
Centre to accommodate the new “Bendy Buses”,
double deckers running on biodiesel will not do.

There is a Council Cabinet meeting on 25th March
at 12.00 noon to recommend that the development
plans are to be approved. The detailed funding
application will be submitted to central government by March 31st.