A convert to communities

Darren Hill mail at vegburner.co.uk
Tue Aug 3 16:28:38 BST 2010

A couple of months old.... missed it at the time - appears to have been
mentioned in the Independent and The Guardian

Monday 29 March 2010

Charles Leadbeater made his name as one of Tony Blair's favourite
thinkers. He epitomised the kind of optimistic early phase of late-90s
New Labour. He bundled together some key themes which provided Blair
with rich pickings for speeches. He combined an almost utopian faith in
the emerging web and its opportunities for collaboration and innovation,
a championing of a new individualism and a robust defence of
globalisation's record in reducing poverty.

Today he seems to have hit a crisis of self doubt. While phrases from
his books, Living on Thin Air and Up the Down Escalator, continue to pop
up in speeches by arch Blairites (our desire to "author" our own lives
is still current), Leadbeater's new pamphlet for the Young Foundation,
Digging for the Future <http://www.youngfoundation.org/>, published
today, is almost painful in its reckoning with the emptying out of his
earlier idealism.

One doesn't normally expect a thinktank pamphlet to be quite so
self-revelatory. But Leadbeater begins by confessing: "Much of work and
life seems dreadfully pre-programmed and mechanical. Our managerialised
politics marked by spin, self interest and timidity has eaten away at
itself … Modern society is a melange of political pragmatism, cultural
relativism and constant consumerism that seems at once wonderful,
distracting and hollow … [there is] the chasm between our need to have a
sense of purpose and our incapacity to muster the collective commitment
to do so."

Hit by this crisis of meaning, Leadbeater takes an admirably quixotic
leap back into history for inspiration: it's 1649 and a radical Gerrard
Winstanley <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrard_Winstanley>takes a
group of followers up St George's Hill in Surrey to start digging unused
land to grow food. Winstanley was a mystic – of the Quaker variety – a
passionate advocate of manure and a political radical. From this
wonderfully eclectic mix of ideas, Leadbeater argues we can find plenty
to shed light on our current predicaments.

continues....
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/mar/29/convert-to-communities

Leadbeater's pamphlet for the Young Foundation, Digging for the Future
is at - <http://www.youngfoundation.org/>
http://www.youngfoundation.org/publications/books/digging-future-march-2010