House prices and Land Value Tax

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sat Aug 14 13:54:14 BST 2010

Actually Mark, the Guardian leader writer has it right on this one.

IMO the latest house price bubble has been
created by a combination of two main factors

Instability and uncertainty on the stock exchange
which has come from war, war spending and short
selling by the city. This means small investors
taking their savings out of the stock exchange
and putting them into buy-to-let property, much
more property than they can themselves use.

Economic migration, which has increased demand
for housing, particularly over the last 15 years

Record immigration sees UK population soar
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1567068/Record-immigration-sees-UK-population-soar.html

Land Value Taxation, or LVT, solves none of this.
In fact, like the poll tax, it undermines one of
the most fundamental of our human needs.

Any ethical taxation policy must recognise that
tax should be levied on non essentials, the more
luxurious goods and services, so as to protect
the poor and the needy from the burden of taxation.

Sir Winston Churchill was one of the most
powerful advocates of LVT in his generation but
then again he was not a peace-time prime minister, nor a 'man of the people'.

Tony