Tenants need help to get on farming 'ladder', say group

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Aug 19 14:55:07 BST 2010

Tenants need help to get on farming 'ladder', say group
http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/Tenants-need-help-farming-ladder-say-group/article-2541740-detail/article.html
www.tfa.org.uk

BRITAIN must have a properly-functioning 'ladder'
to ease new entrants into the farming sector.

That's just one of the demands from the Tenant
Farmers' Association has it sets out its "2020
Vision" – a document which also stresses the need
for policymakers not to lose sight of the fact
that not all farmers are owner-occupiers.

The document covers a wide range of other issues,
including the operation of agri-environment and
rural development schemes, future CAP reform, the
importance of county council smallholdings – now
under threat in Somerset – and management of uplands.
http://www.tfa.org.uk/eblock/services/resources.ashx/000/019/006/10July27_TFA2002VisionforAgricultureV7LoRes.pdf

TFA national chairman Greg Bliss said the
document was the culmination of a long period of
discussion with members and reflection on the future needs of farming.

"We have set out a clear policy agenda for change
taking into consideration the needs of the
tenanted sector and the tenant farmers who, day
by day, farm and manage at least 30 per cent of
the agricultural area of England and Wales," he said.

"Given the size and importance of the tenanted
sector, I continue to be disappointed by the
apparent lack of understanding of its role in
agriculture amongst policymakers both at home and in Europe.

"Those who develop policies for agriculture
unconsciously assume that all farmers are
owner-occupiers and are able to make their own
decisions about how to respond to Government schemes and initiatives.

"But for those of us farming as tenants, the
decisions we make take place in a more complex
environment involving tenancy legislation, the
tenancy agreement in place and the ongoing
relationship with the owner of the land we farm."

Mr Bliss said the document would provide
policymakers with a clear understanding of that
complex environment and how they should address
it as they developed new policies and reviewed current ones.

"The days when the main concerns of the tenant
farmer were dominated by rent are long gone," he
said. "With the rapid development of land use,
agricultural and environmental policies, there is
now a plethora of issues for tenant farmers to
consider, which their owner-occupier neighbours can happily ignore.

"The tenanted sector has a key role to play in
the development of the agricultural industry. It
is therefore vital that the right policies are
put in place to ensure that it can meet the challenges ahead."

Meanwhile, the association has written to Farming
and Food Minister Jim Paice, arguing against
proposals to take responsibility for TB testing away from local vets.

New arrangements are to be introduced, requiring
all herds of more than 100 animals to be tested
by a state veterinary officer, as opposed to a private vet.

TFA chief executive George Dunn said: "For a
number of reasons, we believe that the change
proposed would be a false economy."

He said the TFA was also concerned that for many
local veterinary practices in livestock areas TB
testing had become part of their bread and butter.

"We fear that if TB testing work is taken away
from local vets that they will either have to
increase significantly their costs to the
livestock industry for other services, which may
put those services out of reach," he added.

+44 (0)7786 952037
http://tonygosling.blip.tv/
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung