Good ASS squatting article in the Independent

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sat Aug 28 13:00:34 BST 2010

Young, urban professional seeks home – vacant premises will do

As the recession bites, squatting is soaring, and
those doing it are often not what you might
expect. Paul Bignell and Lettice Franklin report
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/young-urban-professional-seeks-home-ndash-vacant-premises-will-do-2058849.html

Sunday, 22 August 2010

The number of people living in squats in England
and Wales has risen by 25 per cent in the last
seven years, according to new figures. But
contrary to popular belief, greater numbers of
squatters are now professional, middle class and upwardly mobile.

The Advisory Service for Squatters (ASS), a
voluntary group, believes there are as many as
22,000 people living in squats, up from 15,000
seven years ago. In 1995, estimates put the
number at 9,500. The figures are believed to be a conservative estimate.

Experts say the increase is fuelled by an
increase in rents and house prices, a decline in
public housing stock and tighter restrictions on
mortgages, meaning there are fewer opportunities
for people to secure homes. This, together with a
greater number of vacant properties as a result
of repossessions or buy-to-let landlords unable
to rent properties, has resulted in more squatting opportunities.

Agencies dealing with squatters are reporting
increases in the number of cases they handle.
Will Kahn, senior adviser at Tenant Eviction UK,
said: "We have seen a rise in the cases relating
to squatters in the last year or so. I would say
this increase is a result of the recession,
because there are more empty houses. We're
dealing with seven to eight squatter cases a
month. A couple of years ago, we were doing two a
month, so it is a significant increase."

Squatters were typically associated with parts of
London or other big cities. But many solicitors
are now seeing a shift towards smaller towns and
cities throughout England: "You do see it
happening in towns such as Leicester,
Peterborough, Norwich, and we've had a few cases
in Bedford," said Gail Sykes from Buckles
Solicitors. "We are seeing a different kind of
squatter. You used to have a lot of travellers
moving in and camping on land. We now tend to be
dealing with people breaking into or obtaining
access to clients' vacant properties. We've seen
that change within the last 18 months."

Many organisations said they were also seeing a
variety of people squatting – from young
professionals who want to save money to art
students seeking space for their art work.

A spokesman for ASS said: "More people are
thinking about squatting because of the
recession. We get calls from a very wide spectrum
of people. You certainly can't tell what type of
person is going to end up squatting. Art
students, for example, need more space than they could get by renting."

Definitive figures on numbers of squatters are
hard to come by, as police and many local authorities do not keep records.

Squatting is lawful in England and Wales if entry
to an empty property is not forced resulting in
criminal damage. Owners of the squatted building
are forced to take civil action through the
courts to remove the unwanted occupants. In
Scotland it is illegal to squat in a property. If
someone is found to have illegally entered a
property, the police will take action.

Experts say the new generation of squatters have
a greater understanding of the law and how it can
protect them, helped in part by sophisticated
legal advice available on the internet.

Ben Gower for UK Bailiff Company said squatters
had become legally savvy. He said one person
would walk up to a property, break a window and
walk away. Then another would come along and
enter the property through that window and put up
a "squatters' rights" notice. "Previously
squatters were people who didn't have money and
found empty premises," Mr Gower said. "Now they
break in and others put up a section 6 notice
saying 'we are squatting on these premises'."

At the squatting movement's height 40 years ago,
many occupied buildings as a badge of their
political activism. Nowadays, squatters are more
likely to be driven by financial necessity rather than social concern.

In 1994, the then Home Secretary Michael Howard,
said: "There can be no excuse for seizing someone
else's property for however short a time."
Measures in the Criminal Justice Bill were then
designed to deal a blow to squatters.

The coalition government has promised to act
promptly now that squatter numbers are
increasing. They have promised to give greater
powers to councils and landowners to better deal
with squatters. The communities minister, Bob
Neill, said he is working on proposals to create
a new criminal offence of intentional trespass.
He has also said: "We are also committed to
dealing with the problems caused by empty
properties and are exploring a range of measures
to help local communities bring empty homes into use."

A spokesman for the Advisory Service for
Squatters, said: "If land and property is not
being used, it can be beneficial for the
neighbours and community that it is used and
doesn't become an eyesore. The Criminal Justice
Act only served to make squatters more insecure.
The more secure they are, the more energy they
are going to put into the community. I don't
think the Government will criminalise squatting in any simplistic way."

Case Studies

The Squatter: 'Squatting could be seen as a gap-year activity'

Carys Jones, 21, has been squatting in a disused
warehouse in Nottingham for six months with
between 10 and 20 others. She works as a
secretary for the NHS and is taking a degree in
English literature. She started squatting after
becoming homeless. Her squat faces the daily threat of eviction.

"There are lots of pros to living in a squat,
beyond the financial ones. Squats hold community
events, give out meals and actually improve
difficult neighbourhoods. You have to consider
the ethics of squatting. Our building is a Grade
II-listed Victorian warehouse, owned by a private
landlord, which has been neglected for years. I
would never advocate going into someone's home.
Squatters aren't unemployed heroin addicts. Lots
of my housemates work. There are cons, however:
people break windows and scream 'dirty
squatters!' In 10 years time, I probably won't be
squatting. I'm working and studying, so I'll
probably be settling down. Squatting has been a
really good learning experience. I feel a lot
more confident and I can tackle anything. It could be a gap-year activity."

The Victims of Squatting: 'These were not people who were poor or homeless'

Professor Phil Reed, 47, and Dr Lisa Osborne, 46,
bought a home in Brighton in 1995. They lived
there until 2001. Moving to Swansea because of
work commitments in 2003, they used the property
to store their personal belongings. In 2008, not
having been to the house for some time, the
couple received an electricity bill for £2,026.67.

"When I drove past our property in January 2009,
to our horror we noticed a light was on, a
scooter was parked on the property and our car,
left in the drive, was missing. I immediately
telephoned the police. After speaking to the
people inside, the police said they had admitted
the property was broken into in the last couple
of years and they had been living there since.
They told us they were willing to pay rent. The
police warned us not to disturb them and promptly
left. I also saw a satellite dish had been fixed
to the chimney. These were not people who were
poor or homeless. This has left us extremely
distressed. We know who the people are – they
[now] live just round the corner. It makes us
sick to think of what they did and has left us with no faith in the police."

+44 (0)7786 952037
http://tonygosling.blip.tv/
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung