New government threats - tenants fight back

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Tue Dec 7 14:51:50 GMT 2010

Help Defend Council Housing

www.defendcouncilhousing.org.uk

  Help Defend Council Housing

New government threats - tenants fight back
SHORT-TERM TENANCIES PLAN PROVOKES OUTRAGE
A government consultation to end our security of
tenure, just launched, has already provoked outrage - see press.
They want to leave the choice up to councils -
and DCH is calling on all local authorities to
refuse to use fixed term tenancies, to reject
means testing and higher rents, and not to evict
due to arrears caused by new Housing Benefit
cuts; some councils have already agreed.
We need to protest loudly and actively against
these proposals, so organise now. The
consultation is shortened and runs over
Christmas, ending on 17th January 2011: tenant,
union and community groups need to be informed
immediately in order to respond quickly.
Download, read and circulate our briefing

Join the next protest against the cuts and
attacks - 15th December outside Downing Street,
jointly organised by DCH, the Council Housing
Group of MPs, and several other organisations, as
'Housing Emergency'. Organise local protests if
you can't get to London. See leaflet for details.
We are also planning a big rally and lobby of
Parliament in February 2011, keep an eye on the website for details.

Its worth protesting...
The government is under massive pressure to drop
its outrageous proposals to cut housing benefit.
Already Ministers have annouced delayed for
existing tenants, bringing forward cuts for new
tenants. This crude attempt at divisiveness will
not head off growing opposition. Government
advisors and civil servants have added further severe criticism.

MORE NEWS...

Decent Homes Cash for NO votes
The government has announced money towards decent
homes where tenants have rejected privatisation.
It's a victory for all of us who fought against
the three privatisation options - but they need
to increase the amount so all tenants have the
decent homes we were promised by 2010. Full proposals here.

Rents to Rise above Inflation
The government plans to increase rents next year
by 6.8%, which is 2.2% higher than inflation.
They accuse us of being scroungers and layabouts
- but then treat us as a cash cow and help
themselves to our money! This increase will raise
the robbery from our rents to nearly £2 billion a year.

To stop getting DCH press releases reply with UNSUBSCRIBE in subject.
For background information on the demand for the
'Fourth Option' for council housing and who
supports the campaign see www.defendcouncilhousing.org.uk

DCH briefing on the attacks to our security of tenure

DCH open statement against the cuts and attacks; and
list of signatories
+44 (0)7786 952037
http://tonygosling.blip.tv/
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung