CAP in to-day's Guardian

james armstrong james36armstrong at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 27 20:14:44 GMT 2010

There is an article in to-day's Guardian  ,  "The Silence on EU Subsidies...by Julian Glover."

I have written to the ed with a draft letter which Guardian readers can send to their M.P.'s

 There is an umprecedented opportunity to  shame M.P.s and others  into declaring their CAP benefit cheques
 and  return same to HM Treasury as an example to all.
It would  be a huge step towards our aim of democratising government.
Please consider  downloading and persoanlising your own letter to your M.P.
James
                                         COPY

Dear Editor,
“The Silence on EU Subsidies…..”
27 December .

To help avoid thousands of job cuts and save  an
estimated £15 billion during the life
of this parliament would you consider for the interest of your readers ,
publishing the letter to Oliver Letwin M.P. ,
which I sent  on 23rd
December (below)?

Mr Letwin is the  M.P.
for this area, a member of the Cabinet and I understand i/c policy for the  Government.

In addition, I received from HM Treasury (their  letter dated 4 October, is available)  the name of the account  to which cheques should be made out for those
wishing to return  their CAP benefit
cheques.:

     “Exchequer Funds
and Accounts at the Treasury ”

For those who want their cheques dedicated to reducing the
National  Debt, the Account name is
:

              “Debt
and Reserve Management at the Treasury”

You never know. The Guardian article might have been brought
to the attention of  some public
spirited  person  from the Sandringham Estates .

Yours faithfully,

James Armstrong

 Dorchester

COPY LETTER

M r Oliver Letwin, M.P.

House of Commons.

Dear Mr Letwin,                                  CAP benefits to M.P.s            23 Dec 10

Thankyou for your letter confirming you and your family are
not in receipt of CAP benefit cheques.

I appreciate your taking the trouble to write.

You will know that Mr  Richard  Drax , M.P.,
is a beneficiary of the Drax Estates and that they received  £417,000 in 2009 as CAP payment.  No doubt this amount has been increased
since.

It is the declared policy of
EU to have these payments made public- hence the web site with that
information.  However it is not easy to
relate  claimants which are often  companies,  to M.P.’s , although it is reasonable to
suppose that  the many landowners in the
Commons and Lords receive £millions in total, and that each year.

In the interests of open democracy don’t you think the
public should know this?

We often hear M.P.’s comments  on  benefits
claimants and it seems relevant that MP’s benefit claims should be made public.  Then they cannot be said to be benefits
cheats.

I hope you can support this position, and try to ensure that
a register of MP’s who personally benefit from CAP payments,  should make this public.

You will know that there is no proposal to cut CAP benefits.

Yours faithfully,

James Armstrong.