I've never liked the homeless - they're smelly and scary

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Mon Jan 4 19:50:05 GMT 2010

I've never liked the homeless - they're smelly
and scary. So would a Christmas shift at a shelter change my mind?

I've never liked the homeless - they're smelly
and scary. So would a Christmas shift at a shelter change my mind?

By
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?s=y&authornamef=Liz+Jones>Liz
Jones
Last updated at 1:55 PM on 28th December 2009
    *
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1238839/Ive-liked-homeless--theyre-smelly-scary-So-Christmas-shift-shelter-change-mind.html#comments>Comments
(173)
    *
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1238839/Ive-liked-homeless--theyre-smelly-scary-So-Christmas-shift-shelter-change-mind.html>Add
to My Stories

Admittedly I don't really like people all that
much. I've always much preferred animals. They
love you back, unconditionally. They never betray
you. Which is why I find myself driving - on
Christmas Eve, no less - to volunteer in a
homeless shelter with an extremely heavy heart.

I do have sympathy for those who live on the
street in India, say, or Bangladesh. I remember
once being greeted by an almost Biblical scene at
the railway station in Delhi, piles of women and
children sleeping on the platform, mere piles of rags.

'God, the trains must be really late,' I said to
my companion. 'No, families actually live here. All the time,' he replied.
 Liz Jones

Food for thought: Liz Jones (centre) helps
prepare the vast amounts of food that the shelter make

I have helped the homeless in India in the past
on working holidays. They are sweet. They are
grateful. They live in a country with no safety net.

But homeless people in the West? Surely these
people are mostly drug addicts, drunks and
prostitutes. They like doing what they do, they won't want my help.

But, having braved the icy lanes around my farm
in Somerset, I find myself outside the Caring At
Christmas shelter in St Paul's, a deprived part
of Bristol, the scene of violent race riots in
1980; it seems no one has bothered to clean up since.

I lock my BMW carefully and ring the doorbell.
I'm nervous. Whenever I've been in the proximity
of a homeless person before, I have rushed past.
They scare me. They always seem to shout out something embarrassing.

More...

    *
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1238812/The-thing-stopping-getting-want--heres-new-2010.html>Here's
to a new you! Our top life coaches reveal how to
make 2010 your best year yet...
    *
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1238831/JANET-STREET-PORTER-2009--A-year-drove-crazy.html>JANET
STREET-PORTER: 2009 - A year that drove me crazy!

I hate dirt and smells. I have no patience with
people who can't help themselves, who remain
ignorant despite a free education, libraries, the internet...

A cheerful man with a beard shows me round. His
name is Kit, and he's one of the trustees of the
shelter which will stay open, 24 hours a day, until the New Year.

By day, he is a cameraman. By night, he
supervises the 400 volunteers who will turn up
this week to ensure that up to 150 homeless
people a night get a festive meal, entertainment,
showers, medical care and a warm bed.

Kit leads me along a narrow corridor lined with
boxes of food and carrier bags. When I arrived, a
smart couple were dropping off half a dozen tins of luxury biscuits.

In the corridor are boxes and boxes of organic
fruit, veg and meat from Riverford, a small
Somerset company. There are crates of yogurt and
milk from Yeo Valley Organic, and millions of
orange Sainsbury's carrier bags everywhere. 'They
just called and said: "Come and get whatever you want," ' Kit says.
Liz jones

Any room at the inn? Liz Jones in the main hall
where some of the homeless will sleep over Christmas

I meet Rhianan, who is 27 and one of only two
full-time, paid members of staff. I ask if she
wouldn't much rather be at home with her family.

She says: 'I'm a single mum with a six-year-old
daughter, but she's with my mum at the moment.
She understands what I do for a living.' That
must make her much less selfish than other kids
at this time of year? 'Oh no, she still wants an Xbox.'

I'm taken through the dorm, with its rows and
rows of simple beds, each with a neatly folded
blanket and clean sheet; it is as if it is
waiting for the victims of some natural disaster, like a tsunami.

'It is a disaster,' says Claire, the only other
staff member, who is 31. 'Before I started to
work here I thought homeless people should get a
job, but now I've changed my perception. They are just unlucky and unloved.'

She tells me the reason she does the job is for
people like 20-year-old Sam, one of the regulars.

'He's a real Artful Dodger. He steals, but he's
so bright, so funny. His mother gave him drugs
when he was five years old. Given the right
chances, he could have been so successful.'

She then tells me about a young woman of 17 called Jess, who has just come in.

'She was sexually abused by her father, ran away
from home and has just been beaten up by her
boyfriend. She is very scared, very vulnerable.'
Liz Jones

Liz Jones talks to one of the homeless guests that visit the shelter

Too vulnerable to stay at the shelter, it turns
out - anyone under 18 is not sent to a hostel,
but installed in a temporary, previously vetted
family under a scheme called Nightstop - and so
Claire is about to take her off to a country house hotel.

'Really?' I say. It turns out the owner of the
very posh local hotel has phoned and offered the
keys to eight rooms, free of charge. My faith in
human nature is gradually being restored.

I sit in a big room to be briefed along with all
the other volunteers - there are so many young
men and women who should by rights be out binge-drinking - for the night shift.

A description of a missing teenager is read out:
she has long blonde hair, is probably on heroin,
has learning difficulties, and her parents are going insane with worry.

More from Liz Jones...

    *
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1240340/LIZ-JONES-FASHION-THERAPY-How-snuggly-ethical-new-year.html>LIZ
JONES FASHION THERAPY: How to have a snuggly (and ethical) new year 03/01/10
    *
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1240093/Make-drunks-pay-Sounds-great-tax-fat.html>Make
drunks pay! Sounds great but who do we tax next, the fat? 02/01/10
    *
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1239495/Wobbly-shoes-wobbly-bottoms-LIZ-JONES-looks-mad-decade-Planet-Fashion.html>Wobbly
shoes and wobbly bottoms: LIZ JONES looks back at
another mad decade on Planet Fashion 30/12/09
    *
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1239468/LIZ-JONES-MOANS-New-Years-Eve-like-Valentines-day--popularity-test.html>LIZ
JONES MOANS: Forget cheap plonk and false cheer,
give me the men in kilts 30/12/09
    *
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1238782/LIZ-JONES-FASHION-THERAPY-Plus-size-models-rage-fashion-really-ready-embrace-them.html>LIZ
JONES: Plus-size models are all the rage, but is
fashion really ready to embrace them? 27/12/09
    *
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1238565/LIZ-JONES.html>LIZ
JONES: There I stood, homeless with my Prada case 26/12/09
    *
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1238111/Cate-Blanchett-wins-worst-dressed-celebrity-year-award.html>LIZ
JONES: The award for worst dressed celebrity of the year goes to... 23/12/09
    *
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1237311/LIZ-JONES-Wish-lonely-Christmas-spare-thought-millions-women-like-me.html>LIZ
JONES: Wish me a lonely Christmas and spare a
thought for the millions of women like me 20/12/09
    *
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/columnist-502/Liz-Jones.html>VIEW
FULL ARCHIVE

One of the supervisors, Rose, says: 'Remember
that if you do laundry for the guests [those who
come here are never called homeless, or victims,
but always guests], shake the clothes first in
case of needles [the loos have blue lights, to
make locating a vein in order to inject very difficult].

If you are on the door, remember to collect any
bottles of alcohol, label them, and lock them in
the cupboard. If you are nervous about talking to
anyone, try offering them a cup of tea or a sandwich. And remember, enjoy!'

We all stand, and I feel like I've just been
briefed for the Battle of Britain. 'Don't be
scared,' Kit tells me. 'We don't usually have any
trouble. The guests police themselves - they don't want to be ejected.'

I go into the kitchen to help first. I keep
looking to see where my handbag is. A menu is
chalked on a board. Salmon steaks with cheese
sauce, a vegetarian option of pasta bake. There's
broccoli, roast potatoes, jam sponge, Christmas cake, mince pies. Blimey.

Steve, the chef, hands me an apron and a pair of
gloves. A trained chef, he now works in human
resources, but he will be here all week
supervising. He assigns me to stir the stuffing.

I'm standing between Sarah, who by day works in a
bank - 'I'm not very popular at the moment!' she
trills - and Wendy, who is retired.

Don't they have families at home to look after?

'I could do with not being here this evening, I
have so much to do!' laughs Wendy. 'My family do
worry, but I always promised myself I would give something back.'

I ask whether she had any preconceptions about
homeless people before she started working here.
'I used to, but they are just like you and me.'

I stand at the door to the lounge, which by 5pm
is filling up fast with people of all shapes and
sizes. A young woman comes to get a cup of
coffee. She is distraught, and drunk.

It turns out she has just been to see her
children, who have been taken away from her, and
didn't even have the money to take them a card.
'I failed them,' is all she can say.

A fairly respectable man comes up to get a cup of
tea. He says he has not been homeless for long.
(Wendy tells me later that it is so sad to see
how people disintegrate on the street. 'At first,
they are smart and clean, and then as time goes
on they become more and more dishevelled.')

The man tells me he lost his job, started
drinking and having rows with his wife. She
turfed him out, and now he has lost everything:
his home, his children. 'What have I thrown away?' he keeps saying.

Everyone is excited that this evening, a
beautiful, 24-year-old acoustic singer called
Sophie will be performing Beatles songs as well
as her own compositions for the guests. (I tease
her that most singers her age would focus all
their energy on winning The X Factor, and she
gives me a hard stare). We also have a
hairdresser in the house. It could almost be
Daniel Galvin in Mayfair, so thick and fast come the requests for a booking.

The hairdresser's name is Amberley, and she is
19. This is her first time doing the hair of the
homeless, and she's a bit nervous. Why is she
here? 'I felt Christmas had become really
shallow,' she says. 'I thought: "I'm lucky - there must be a way to help."'

I meet Val, a nurse from St John's Ambulance. She
tells me that the most common ailment of the night is bound to be trench foot.

'Homeless people don't tend to take off their
shoes and socks,' she explains tactfully.
Liz Jones

Liz Jones outside the Caring at Christmas homless shelter in St Pauls Bristol

There are notices everywhere about TB and how to
keep warm. I meet a man called Alan, who is 49,
but, what with his lameness, his lack of teeth
and his weather-beaten face, he might just as well have told me he was 80.

I feel as though I've been tipped back into
Victorian England. 'How can this still be
happening?' I ask Kit. He replies: 'We are all
just five steps away from being on the street. It
can happen through a relationship breaking up,
abuse, mental illness or just through sheer bad luck.'

And then I meet David. He is tall, dressed in the
usual student uniform of jeans and hoodie, with
long dark hair and startling blue eyes. We sit on
a bed together. I ask him where he lives. He
starts to describe a square in Bristol. Well,
that sounds quite nice, I tell him. Is it a flat
or a bedsit? 'No, in the square,' he says, as if
I have learning difficulties, 'on a park bench.'

You live on a park bench? 'Yes.' In this weather?
'The cold isn't so bad. It's the rain that gets you down.'

David never knew his real parents. He was adopted
by a couple 'who never should have been allowed
to have a child', and ran away from home aged 16.

He is 40 and has lived on the street ever since.
Can't he get a job? 'I have tried, but they don't
take into account you might be soaked to the skin, or exhausted.'

Do you get depressed? 'Of course I do. But I try to keep a lid on it.'

Can't the Government get you a bedsit? 'I don't
want a bedsit,' he says. 'I want what you have.'

I meet a man called Alan, who is 49, but, what
with his lameness, his lack of teeth and his
weather-beaten face, he might just as well have told me he was 80

I almost say, crossly, that, well, you'd have to
work hard to get that, but, of course, I'm not
taking into account the fact he was abused, he
never had a family. That living in the cold every
day makes you cantankerous, dislikeable, tougher than I will ever be.

He tells me he went to Cornwall in the summer.
Hmm, I think, a holiday. I don't get holidays. 'I
went because it's a few degrees warmer. I walked
there. Only took a few weeks.'

David is fiercely independent and wary of rules,
probably because, given his status, he is always
bossed about, moved on, told what to do. I ask if
he has any friends. 'No, not with other homeless
people, mainly because I don't drink, or take anything.'

He says he is going to stay for dinner, but that
he won't sleep in the dorm, preferring the
independence, the peace and quiet, of his bench.
I say it must be hard, unable to have a
girlfriend or children. 'I will never have that,'
he says. 'Who would want this?' He points at his rotting teeth.

Does he worry about the future? 'I don't have a
future. What I dream about is having a piece of
land, looking after it, learning some old-fashioned skills.'

I ask what is the hardest thing about being
homeless. 'People are very rude to me. That, and the rain.'

He picks up his tiny rucksack. I ask if he has a
mobile number, and he looks at me as if I've
asked where he parked his Porsche. My eyes
automatically swivel to check the location of my
Michael Kors tote. He sees me do this, and I feel ashamed.

At the end of the night, I walk back to my car,
to my warm, cosy life, and decide I'm going to go
back to that square to find David, and I'm going to try to help him.

• CARING at Christmas is at Little Bishop Street,
St Paul's, Bristol. Visit www.caringatchristmas.org.uk

Read more:
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1238839/Ive-liked-homeless--theyre-smelly-scary-So-Christmas-shift-shelter-change-mind.html#ixzz0b7EBnhO9>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1238839/Ive-liked-homeless--theyre-smelly-scary-So-Christmas-shift-shelter-change-mind.html#ixzz0b7EBnhO9