new PPS4 out

Simon Fairlie chapter7 at tlio.org.uk
Mon Jan 4 15:50:55 GMT 2010

The nuances of retail policy in PPS4 are  insignificant compared to
the wholesale trashing of rural policy in the same document.

PPS4 cancels all these sections of PPS7 Sustainable Development in
the Countryside:

Objectives (i-iv) and paragraphs 1 (ii-vi), 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 16 (i-
ii), 17, 18, 19, 22, 30
(i-ii), 32, 34 (i-ii), 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 of Planning Policy
Statement 7: Sustainable
development in rural areas (PPS7).

They are replaced by policy EC6 which actively promotes horseyculture
and diversification of farming into other businesses — but gives no
support at all for farming or forestry enterprises.

This is the malicious swansong of a neo-liberal Labour government
which over ten years has done everything it can to undermine farming
and food production in this country and open up the countryside as a
playground and leafy retreat for its mercantile and property
developer cronies.

Compare what is left of English rural policy in PPS4 and PPS6 with
the admirable Welsh draft TAN6 and you would think you were in a
different country!

> http://www.communities.gov.uk/publications/planningandbuilding/
> planningpolicystatement4

http://wales.gov.uk/docs/desh/consultation/