DV Imprisonment Info Fwd: Four Democracy Villagers imprisoned on July 3 at Horseferry Rd

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 4 02:27:25 BST 2010

On Friday evening what was billed an eviction resistance turned into direct
action against Parliament. Today four young people were imprisoned,
including one for entering court with a white peace banner. Here below' s
all the info I could find. Apparently the village is safe until July 19th
which is when the next appeal hearing will be heard.

In Solidarity for a Village Society and an End to War

Mark
*
Latest from Rikki: http://london.indymedia.org.uk/articles/5101

>From Dan:* "Nonviolent anti-war protesters from the Democracy Village camp
in Parliament Square (in place since 1 May) have this afternoon (Saturday 3
July) been handed jail sentences by District Judge Nicholas Evans at City of
Westminster Magistrates Court. I understand this judge has a history of
showing contempt for Brian Haw's campaign and other protesters, and the
right to peaceful dissent on 'his patch'.

Simon Moore has apparently been handed a 20 day sentence, at HMP Wandsworth,
for contempt of court (waving white peace flag), whilst three others (at
least two of them women) have each received seven-day sentences in lieu of
fines for blockading gates to the Houses of Parliament yesterday (Friday)
afternoon, along with a number of others (who received a mixture of cautions
and, I think, fines). The women have, I believe, been sent to HMP Holloway."

*Friday Pics:*
http://www.demotix.com/news/374733/democracy-village-operation-rolling-thunder-parliament-gates
*Radfax Vid:* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpv8vVhGLC8

*Indymedia Thread:*
http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2010/07/454876.html?c=on#comments
*
Saturday Press release from Democracy Village:*
**
*
*
*Four activists jailed for peaceful protest*

Four activists from Democracy Village, Parliament Square, were sent to
prison on July 3rd on charges of obstruction and contempt of court.
Following a day of direct action defying court orders for possession of
Parliament Square, dubbed Operation Rolling Thunder, 15 arrests were made on
Friday evening.

Three women refused to pay fines of £40 for obstruction and were sent to HMP
Holloway for 7 days. Another activist was sent to HMP Wandsworth for
contempt after carrying a white peace banner into court. When asked if he
would 'purge' himself on return to court by Magistrate Nicholas Evans, he
refused.

contact:

 Mike 07799 887008,Camilla 07962 889459 or Phoenix 07769 791387

www.democracyvillage.org
democracyvillage at gmail. <democracyvillage at gmail.org>com