Government raids on farms across the USA!

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Wed Jul 21 08:14:49 BST 2010

Seem that local and national law enforcement in the USA are regularly raiding
farms across America. What for?: Drugs?; Illegal immigrants?; Banned
chemicals? NO -- THEY'RE LOOKING FOR REAL FOOD!!

You really couldn't write this stuff as a comedy skit -- it would be too
absurd! The sad thing is that in such matter the UK tends to be only a short
period behind policy in the US.

P.

http://www.grist.org/article/food-five-tips-for-surviving-a-raid-on-your-farm-
or-food-club

Raids are increasing on farms and private food-supply clubs—here are 5 tips
for surviving one

David Gumpert, Grist Magazine, 14th July 2010

When the 20 agents arrived bearing a search warrant at her Ventura County
farmhouse door at 7 a.m. on a Wednesday a couple weeks back, Sharon Palmer
didn't know what to say. This was the third time she was being raided in 18
months, and she had thought she was on her way to resolving the problem over
labeling of her goat cheese that prompted the other two raids. (In addition to
producing goat's milk, she raises cattle, pigs, and chickens, and makes the
meat available via a CSA.)

But her 12-year-old daughter, Jasmine, wasn't the least bit tongue-tied. "She
started back-talking to them," recalls Palmer. "She said, 'If you take my
computer again, I can't do my homework.' This would be the third computer we
will have lost. I still haven't gotten the computers back that they took in
the previous two raids."

As part of a five-hour-plus search of her barn and home, the agents -- from the
Los Angeles County District Attorney's office, Los Angeles County Sheriff,
Ventura County Sheriff, and the California Department of Food and Agriculture
- -- took the replacement computer, along with milk she feeds her chickens and
pigs.

While no one will say officially what the purpose of this latest raid was, aside
from being part of an investigation in progress, what is very clear is that
government raids of producers, distributors, and even consumers of
nutritionally dense foods appear to be happening ever more frequently.
Sometimes they are meant to counter raw dairy production, other times to
challenge private food organizations over whether they should be licensed as
food retailers.

The same day Sharon Palmer's farm was raided, there was a raid on Rawesome
Foods, a Venice, Calif., private food club run by nutritionist and raw-food
advocate Aajonus Vonderplanitz. For a membership fee of $25, consumers can
purchase unpasteurized dairy products, eggs that are not only organic but
unwashed, and a wide assortment of fermented vegetables and other products.

The main difference in the two raids seems to be that Palmer's raiding party
was actually much smaller, about half the size of the Venice contingent:
Vonderplanitz was also visited by the FBI and the FDA.

In the Rawesome raid, agents made off with several thousand dollars worth of
raw honey and raw dairy products. They also shut Rawesome for failure to have
a public health permit, though the size and scope of the raid suggests the
government officials might have more in mind. Regardless, within hours the
outlet reopened in defiance of the shutdown order.

{snip}

- --

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/ebo/

Read my message board, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2010.asc