The name's Bond, Government Bond...

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Mon Jun 7 15:04:28 BST 2010

At last, an article that fairly accurately points out the contradiction
between "democratic" states and the way the bond market over-rides popular
opinion. Strange that this fact isn't part of the small print on all those
loan/mortgage agreements people take out!

P.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/analysis-and-features/panic-
station-inside-the-bond-markets-1993053.html

Panic station: Inside the bond markets

The eurozone is quaking, thanks to the men who control the $80 trillion bond
market. At its epicentre is the Chicago Mercantile Exchange – when traders
here are nervous, nations are rocked, writes Stephen Foley

The Independent, Monday, 7 June 2010

There is an angry mob out there. Its shape is dimly perceived, but the
terrifying shadows cast by its burning torches are clear enough. This is the
bond market in full cry.

Its most aggressive participants even call themselves the 'bond vigilantes'.
Across Europe and into the UK, governments cower, populations are told to
brace themselves for painful cuts, and austerity is the order of the day. In
the US, too, their proscriptions are moving up the political agenda. Fail to
assuage the mob, we are told, and untold horrors await, nightmare visions such
as the flying apart of the eurozone, the ruin of the British Government's
finances, or the final collapse of the US dollar's hegemony.

We are in danger of submitting ourselves to policymaking by fear. A world
created in the image of the bond vigilantes is a vicious, reactionary place,
to be resisted rather than embraced. And remember this, above all: the bond
market is not always right.

What are we even talking about? How can we pin down this thing, this vast
market for IOUs from which governments must finance their record deficits? We
will all have to better understand the language – and the body language – of
the bond market. James Carville, President Bill Clinton's sage old adviser, is
often quoted. "I used to think that if there was reincarnation, I wanted to
come back as the President or the Pope," he once said, "but now I would like
to come back as the bond market. You can intimidate everybody."

It is not easy to anthropomorphise a financial market, and especially not the
enormous and diverse bond market. There is no obvious, teeming souk to visit,
where all of the world's $80 trillion of outstanding debts are bought and
sold, as the action takes place at millions of terminals in financial
institutions of all stripes and in all corners of the globe, and even inside
pre-programmed trading computers. But there is a place where you can go to
take market's temperature, to hear some of its voices, and to get the measure
of a philosophy in the ascendancy. That place is in Chicago.

The Chicago Mercantile Exchange "is where the world comes to manage risk".
That is the boast on the plaque inside its historic headquarters in the
downtown heart of the third largest city in the US. The CME started life more
than a century ago as the Chicago Butter and Egg Board, when financiers and
farmers gathered to set prices for future deliveries of goods. These days it
is a vast futures and options market, not just for agricultural products, but
for other commodities and for financial derivatives tied to foreign currencies,
to the stock market and, most importantly, to European bank debt and US
government bonds.

Everything that happens in the bond market ripples through the prices of the
contracts traded here, and everything traded here ripples back through the
bond market. And it all happens the old-fashioned way: with men in coloured
jackets shouting and making hand gestures at each other beneath an
impenetrable wall of screens filled with numbers and codes.

This is an up-by-your-bootstraps place, full of independent traders and self-
made men of scrappy backgrounds. This is the Midwest, not the East Coast. In
many ways it defines itself in opposition to New York. Wall Street is where
bankers dream up ever more exotic schemes to raise money and parcel debt
around. Chicago is where traders assess the brutal question: what are my
chances of getting paid back? Many traders here concur that Chicago is a
financially conservative place. Yra Harris, a veteran of the trading floor, who
runs his own firm, Praxis, and pontificates on the ills of Europe's economy on
his blog Notes from the Underground, says it is because most of the people in
the pits are trading their own money. "That makes you a much better risk
analyst. When you work in bank trading you are trading other people's money;
you learn a lot of bad habits. Some of the worst traders I know are bank
traders, but they have the power of the mechanism behind them. It allows them
to smooth things over. There's nothing better than being able to dump your
worst positions on your customers. We don't have that ability. If you have bad
habits here, you are not here for long."

With the world awash in debt, and governments needing to raise more and more
to fund the stimulus programmes that kept the world economy from the brink in
2008, this place has never been more powerful, more self-confident or more
assertive. It was from here – from the very floor of the CME – that the anti-
government Tea Party movement sweeping the Republican party was launched. This
is the story of Chicago rising.

Chicago is where the militant wing of the bond market can be found, and where
its real world impact is magnified, thanks to the leverage that comes with
trading derivatives (which allow you to place bets many times the value of the
underlying bonds). The CME trading floor resembles nothing so much as a sports
arena during a rowdy game. The litter of discarded trading cards is
everywhere, the arena is filled with the babble and occasional roar of traders,
each in a different pen, or "pit", according to the financial product they buy
and sell. There are skyboxes for the media and executives; a mezzanine tier
for brokers, who are tied to their phones and terminals taking the orders that
they will signal for traders in the pits below to carry out.

You can literally see billions of dollars moving around here. First, a piece
of news sending share prices higher will cause a frenzy of buying in the
trading pit for stock market futures until, suddenly, a scary piece of news
causes a jolt of buying activity in the supposedly safer investments available
in the bond derivatives corner. It is a scene Ron Pankau has taken in every
work day for the past 30 years. "This here is the reallocation of funds, all
day long," he says. "Big institutions have to move so much money, there is
nowhere else where they can do it so fast. Where else can you move $100m out
of the stock market in 30 seconds? You wouldn't be able to do it in the real
world of owning actual stocks."

Like the farmers who used the CME's forerunner to lock in prices for the eggs
and butter they would deliver in the future, this is where investors come to
hedge the risk of changing prices for government debt and other bonds, and
changing interest rates. It is also where speculators come to gamble on those
prices and rates. Speculators are the grease in the machine. Farmers needed
financial speculators a century ago to make the market work; we need them now,
too. One question is: do we need this many of them?

An independent trader and a thoughtful soul, Pankau has built a decent living
here. Recently he has also taken on a second business, a little steel-making
firm in western Illinois whose retiring founder was threatening to shut it
down. He connects dots from the trading pits to the livelihoods not just of
the 40 employees of his little venture but to the very health and vibrancy of
the world economy. "The only reason the bank, Wells Fargo, lent me the money
to buy the business is because they can hedge their risk here. The reason you
are able to get credit to buy a Ford motor car is because the risk of your
loan can be hedged here. Without these financial markets, there would be no
growth and no job creation."

If you had to personify the bond market, to distill it into a single human
being, it would be Rick Santelli. Short, pugnacious and instantly recognisable
to anyone with a passing interest in finance in the US, the former derivatives
trader reports on the market from the floor of the CME for the business
television channel CNBC.

He also happens to be the man who sparked the Tea Party movement, or at least
gave the inchoate uprising of anti-government, anti-bailout right-wingery its
central historical metaphor. Enraged by an Obama administration plan to use a
sliver of the Wall Street bailout fund to help struggling borrowers refinance
their mortgages and avoid foreclosure, he launched an on-air tirade in
February last year that went viral.

Let's launch a poll, he said, "to see if we really want to subsidise the
losers' mortgages". With traders cheering behind him, he said that instead the
homes should be foreclosed upon. "Give them to people that might have a chance
to actually prosper down the road, and reward people that could carry the
water instead of drink the water. This is America. How many of you people want
to pay for your neighbour's mortgage, that has an extra bathroom and they
can't pay their bills?" Again, the traders roared to support his point.
"President Obama, are you listening? We're thinking of having a Chicago tea
party in July. All you capitalists that want to show up to Lake Michigan, I'm
going to start organising."

Santelli has kept the temperature up at roasting ever since. He gives voice to
the market fundamentalist view that the bailouts were a dangerous perversion
that served only to delay a reckoning. Governments around the world crafted
their rescues of the financial sector and their separate stimulus plans so as
to prevent an intolerable toll on people's jobs, savings and the economy as a
whole. They learned the lessons of the Great Depression, channelled the wisdom
of John Maynard Keynes, and stepped in to prevent economic demand from
spiralling downward. They became spenders of last resort.

The effect, obviously, is to have pitched the amount of government debt across
the West to levels never seen outside of wartime, and not in the modern era of
ultra-mobile financial markets, where money can flood in and flee from a country
at dangerous speeds.

"You can't hide from debt," Santelli explained when I accosted him on the
floor. "We have just been adding to it. This is the last stop on the Adios
Express line. The only deeper pocket I know of is God's – and I'm not sure he
is going to help us out." He smiled his wide television smile, the one just on
that line between charming and sinister.

"Europe governments are in a state of denial. The financial markets are merely
the messenger. Don't look at this as 'us versus them'. When there were the
riots in Greece I saw one of the chants was: 'The capitalists have taken our
money.' Well, no. Capitalists created the structures which have funded their
social programmes, up until the point that it all ran out of money."

Government debt in the West has not been so large, relative to countries'
economies, since the aftermath of the Second World War, and there is no
disputing the need to get it down. The debate is over how, and how quickly.
The most obvious way is through big spending cuts, imposed early. But a few
extra percentage points of economic growth could do more to reduce deficits
than swinging the axe, so there is a counter argument that keeping government
stimulus in the economy for longer will prove more effective. This is the
argument for which the UK squabble over (a financially insignificant) £6bn in
post-election cuts was a proxy.

The right way to have the argument is between thoughtful economists and
policymakers. You won't get the absolutist tone used by some of the players in
the Chicago pits, and their analogues that pop up in the television studios of
Europe.

The numbers are the numbers, you might hear – as if the numbers were something
fixed. Actually, the numbers are just the outcome of a million assumptions
plugged into a trading firm's economic mode, and how the traders act on the
numbers involves lashings of emotion too.

If there's one lesson that we have learned from the market gyrations of the
past few years – whether it be the slow-motion boom and sudden bust of the
Noughties housing and credit bubble, or the "flash crash" of the US stock
market that lopped 1,000 points off the Dow Jones in the space of 20 minutes
last month (only to put most of them back on again before the end of the day).
It is that markets are prone to swing too far in each direction and generate
their own self- reinforcing feedback loops. Some of the traders at the CME
know this, too. They know why it happens, and they fear it is happening too
often. For all the bustle of its pits, the CME has greatly expanded what used
to be a side line: the electronic trading of derivatives. Now, 75 per cent of
this much-increased volume of activity bypasses the floor entirely. As well as
providing new ways for investors and speculators to do business, it has opened
up the market to even more hedge funds and others who use computer programmes
to try to predict the markets. As often as not, these programmes exacerbate
moves in one direction, and make it harder for other traders to resist any
gathering momentum. As Ron Pankau puts it, "Many times during the day, the
market doesn't make any sense."

Add into this brew the invention in recent years of even more derivative
products – credit default swaps – so new that they have not yet started to be
traded on an exchange and instead exist only between banks. Here is another
way for speculators to increase the size and speed of their bets on government
debt. We are in a dangerous world when the price of a CDS is being quoted on
the news as if it is the official share price of a government. When Greece's
financial woes became evident, speculators rushed to place CDS bets on Italy,
Portugal and other eurozone countries, encouraging a climate of fear, spurring
governments to bigger budget cuts and ultimately triggering the "shock and
awe" announcement of a $1 trillion European Union bailout fund. The numbers
that will genuinely count are the numbers for economic growth, for tax
revenues and government deficits, and for the interest rate at which real
buyers of real government bonds are willing to invest when new government debt
is issued – real buyers who are investing for the long term, not for days or
minutes.

So far, on all these measures, the world economy has performed consistently
more strongly, and (with only a handful of exceptions) government bond
auctions have seen consistently more demand, than the militants of Chicago
have predicted. The power of the vigilantes has grown, no question, but not as
much as might be imagined. The bond market rampant can burn down houses, and
we must be wary, but there is no need to surrender pre-emptively to this
modern form of mob rule.

- --

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/ebo/

Read my message board, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2010.asc