Consultation on "environmental" planning statements

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Tue Mar 9 13:54:21 GMT 2010

Haven't had a chance to have a good look, but it looks definitely biased
towards "environmentalism" (a.k.a green consumerism) rather than "ecology" ;-)

If anything, especially the coastal PPS, it's about limiting the scope for
objections on environmental/climate grounds, not enforcing such criteria!

The files are at:

# Consultation on a Planning Policy Statement: Planning for a Low Carbon
Future in a Changing Climate --
http://www.communities.gov.uk/publications/planningandbuilding/ppsclimateconsultation

# Consultation paper on a new Planning Policy Statement: Planning for a
Natural and Healthy Environment --
http://www.communities.gov.uk/publications/planningandbuilding/naturalenvironmentconsultation

# Planning Policy Statement 25 Supplement: Development and Coastal Change --
http://www.communities.gov.uk/publications/planningandbuilding/coastalchange

P.

http://www.planningresource.co.uk/bulletins/Planning-Resource-Daily-
Bulletin/News/989027/Environment-PPSs-unveiled/

Environment PPSs unveiled

Michael Donnelly, PlanningResource, 9th  March 2010

The government has launched consultations for new Planning Policy Statements
(PPS) on climate change and the natural environment along with new policy
guidance on coastal change.

Housing and planning minister John Healey said the new policy statements would
give councils a "green planning rulebook" so new sustainable developments are
planned and built with the environment mind.

The proposed climate change planning policy includes requirements to reduce
the need for people to travel between where they live and work, encouraging
the installation of electric car charging points, better public transport and
improved walking and cycling links.

The draft Natural Environment planning policy, provides councils with updated
guidance to plan for and provide for ‘green infrastructure’.

Under the new coastal change policy all inappropriate development such as
housing will continue to be banned in areas vulnerable to coastal erosion but
there will no longer be a blanket ban on temporary development that has wider
economic benefits, an acceptable coastal use and could be relocated when
required.

The new policy supplements PPS25 and replaces the policy on managing the
impacts of coastal erosion to development set out in Planning Policy Guidance
20.

Healey has also confirmed that a further two areas have been added to proposed
eco-town 'second wave' originally announced in December.

The two councils – East Devon District Council and Fareham Borough Council –
have expressed an interest in using eco-town standards for new settlements in
their area.

Healey, said: "Overhauled planning policies will act as a new green planning
rulebook and the £10m for councils will provide training to help deliver
action on the ground.

"Councils are making great progress and already highlighting where they can
apply tough green standards in new developments. This signals real and radical
momentum to change and to re-think how we design our towns and homes for the
future.

"The tougher, better guidelines for planning give councils a new blueprint,
reflecting the latest targets and ensuring councils put combating climate
change at the heart of future development – ultimately saving people money on
their bills and reducing emissions."

(Edward Burroughs, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/ebo/

Read my message board, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml