Edwardian Farm

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Tue Nov 9 10:55:13 GMT 2010

Begins Wednesday, 8pm, BBC2

P.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00w15jc

Edwardian Farm, Part 1

Archaeologists Alex Langlands and Peter Ginn and historian Ruth Goodman arrive
at Morwellham Quay in Devon - once home to one of the busiest ports in
Britain. For the next twelve months they will be attempting to bring it back
to life as it was in its Edwardian heyday.

In September they begin with the basics. They set up home in one of the
cottages, where the first task - after cleaning - is unblocking the chimney so
they can get the range working in order to cook.

They prepare for the arrival of their first livestock - a flock of sheep and a
ram called Cyril, and Ruth cheers up the cottage by making a rug out of rags.
And she cooks her first meal on the range - a sheep's head stew. Alex builds a
hay rick to store feed for the animals over winter; while Peter heads to
Bodmin moor to carve a stone feeding trough.

And they must plant crops. The high acidity of the soil makes it infertile for
growing crops, so the top priority is neutralising the acid with fertilizer -
and for this they must make deadly quicklime. They will need literally tonnes
of the stuff. It is a hazardous and gruelling - but essential - job.

- --

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/ebo/

Read my message board, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2010.asc