Big Society ~ 'People power'� perhaps not?

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 9 12:19:45 GMT 2010

>democracy under a dictatorship.

Well yes, but that means it's not really democracy at all! The BS Agenda is
really meaningless without a huge shift in political and economic power
relations. Here are some ideas on Peoples Assemblies and Real Democracy in
the run up to the event on Dec 11th www.peoplesassemblies.org and other
linked initiatives. Hope some of you can make it.

*About Peoples Assemblies:*

In addition to the CJA (Climate Justice Action) spontaneous international
call out in 2009 at Copenhagen:

One Brit-based and economic cuts related take on Peoples Assemblies can be
found at A World to Win's site, here:
http://www.aworldtowin.net/frontline/BuildPeoplesAssemblies.html

And another, on the idea of Real Democracy (and its link to Peoples
Assemblies), with its obvious link to a localisation of our means of
production, may also be of interest, short statement of principle, here
https://groups.google.com/group/project2012/web/crd-principles?hl=en  One
thing this statement neglects to cover is the importance of getting the
nation states to work together but this will be amended soon. One the key
aspects of PA thinking is that if done right, ie well mobilised with clear
politics for change attached it can address both ends of the political and
economic spectrum, localisation and globalisation, aswell as transforming
each relevant national story at the same time. Hence reference in the
statement to the Real Third International (3rd being people power, after 1st
global capital and, increasingly (rich country - ie G20/NATO etc) 2nd global
state. Also, a lot of work has been done on exactly "how" we might go about
decentralising public services, from banking to unemployment and other
benefits to governance (and they must be all of a piece) as well as the kind
of taxation system that would best suit such a radically empowering
reorganisation of our systems of governance. Some of this can be found at
the experimental article written (again specifically in Brit / David
Cameron's "Big Society" context at: http://www.newsov.org/?page_id=59
(lots here about Democracy a how to make it a reality, but especially
see point five, about green jobs which should be liberating, not forced /
authoritarian as per the latest BS proposals. )

And, finally, again (sorry for overload) in terms of the Brit constitution,
ie the national story  a statement some of us put together back in 2006,
which also refers to the need for PAs, is here:
http://www.peopleincommon.org/archive/C421.html

Cheers

Mark