Housing benefit cuts will stop social unrest, claims Cameron

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Nov 18 22:20:57 GMT 2010

More reverse logic 'Shock Doctrine' from Cameron and his upside down kingdom.
Psychological Operations by the Bullingdon Club
... targeted at the people and, unwisely, the armed forces.
How long can Nero's social engineering last?

The Shock Doctrine Naomi Klein and Alfonso Cuaron
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSF0e6oO_tw
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/video/2007/sep/07/naomiklein

Tony

Housing benefit cuts will stop social unrest, claims Cameron
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/nov/18/david-cameron-housing-benefit-questioning

Patrick Wintour, political editor -
guardian.co.uk, Thursday 18 November 2010 20.05 GMT

Social unrest would have been likely if housing
benefit payments had not been slashed, David
Cameron said today after claims that his cuts
would lead to an influx of poor families from
inner cities to hard-pressed suburbs.

He challenged Margaret Hodge, the chair of the
Public Accounts Committee, to join him in the
streets of her home in Islington, north London,
to find out whether the public supported the cuts.

The exchange was one of the few charged moments
in a two-and-a-half-hour cross-examination by the
chairs of Commons select committees, the first
time Cameron had been questioned by the liaison
committee..................................

In his exchanges on the housing benefit budget,
Cameron said reform cuts were needed to prevent
social unrest by taxpayers who believe it is unfair.

Hodge said he did not understand the anger in her
Barking constituency in east London and warned
about the impact on the extreme right. She said:
"You said you support mixed communities but it's
undoubtedly the case that the cap and housing
benefit changes will mean that poorer people
cannot afford to live in rented accommodation in
Notting Hill, where you live, or Islington, where
I live, or in Westminster, where we all work.

"And they will be forced out to areas like the
one I represent, Barking, where there is pressure
and social unrest caused by the very rapid
changes in population and the lack of affordable housing.

"Is social unrest a price worth paying, and the
impact that can have with the extreme right?"

Cameron replied: "Find me a street in your
constituency and let's go down it together and
let's ask people earning £20,000, £25,000,
£30,000, whether they are happy to be paying
towards people whose rent bills are £30,000,
£40,000, £50,000 living in central London.

"I think that is more likely, frankly, to lead to
social unrest when people find out how much money
they're paying in taxes for people to live in
houses they couldn't dream of living in
themselves." Cameron said housing benefit had
risen by 50% in the last five years. "Everyone
accepts it's out of control and you've got to
take some steps to deal with it," he said.

"We have been chasing ourselves round in a
circuit of increased housing benefit, increased
costs and all the while not building very many
houses. We have had big capital allocations into
housing for the last decade, but it has pushed up
the price of land – anyone who owns a bit of land
outside one of the towns we represent has done
very well, but we seem not have built many houses."

He claimed the new homes bonus would lead to an
increase in housebuilding since councils will be
able to keep the extra revenue.................../////

+44 (0)7786 952037
http://tonygosling.blip.tv/
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung