Meat: a Benign Extravagance - new book by Simon Fairlie

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Mon Sep 20 22:05:07 BST 2010

Eat meat and save the planet, says eco-warrior and former vegetarian

An eco-warrior who lives on a ‘sustainable
living’ commune and spent six years as a
vegetarian has written a book that says Britons
should continue to eat some meat.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/8012205/Eat-meat-and-save-the-planet-says-eco-warrior-and-former-vegetarian.html
By
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/8012205/http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journalists/alastair-jamieson/>Alastair
Jamieson
Published: 7:30AM BST 20 Sep 2010

An eco-warrior who lives on a ?sustainable living? commune and

Fairlie says the vegan diet espoused by many
environmentalists is 'neither sensible nor
attainable for society as a whole' Photo: ALAMY

Simon Fairlie, a farmer and writer, is now
shattering the consensus that we should avoid
eating any meat or raising any animals in order to save the planet.

In a new book that questions the impact of
meat-eating on greenhouse gases, he says the
vegan diet espoused by many environmentalists is
“neither sensible nor attainable for society as a whole”.

Mr Fairlie, a smallholder and a former co-editor
of The Ecologist magazine, believes vegetarianism
is not the answer to the problem of livestock
emissions and that Britons should continue to eat meat.

His views contradict the received wisdom of
experts including Lord Stern, author of the
government’s 2006 review on climate change, who
said: “Meat is a wasteful use of water and
creates a lot of greenhouse gases. It puts
enormous pressure on the world’s resources. A vegetarian diet is better
”

It also deals a blow to the philosophy of
celebrity vegetarians including Sir Paul
McCartney and actress Natalie Portman.

In his new book, Meat: a Benign Extravagance, Mr
Fairlie argues there is some surplus and waste in
every agricultural system and that animals which
eat this surplus have little additional environmental impact.

Although he supports a drastic reduction in meat
consumption, he questions the validity of some of
the most commonly-repeated environmental claims,
such as the notion that producing a kilogram of
beef requires 100,000 litres of water – a figure
he dismisses because it implies a daily water
intake of about 25,000 litres per cow.

The 59-year-old, who lives on the Monkton Wyld
Court ‘centre for sustainable living’ near
Bridport, Dorset, said: “700 million tonnes of
human edible food are poured down the gullets of
livestock every year to provide a luxury
commodity for the wealthy, while around a billion
people in the world do not have enough to eat.

"The Gandhian response, of rejecting such a
tainted product, is understandable; yet the net
result – importing protein and fat from third
world countries – has perverse repercussions.”

In a recent contribution to
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/8012205/http://www.permaculture-magazine.co.uk/articles/articles_65.html>Permaculture
magazine, he wrote: “Livestock provide the
biodiversity that trees on their own cannot
provide. They are the best means we have of
keeping wide areas clear and open to solar energy and wind energy.

“They harness biomass that would otherwise be
inaccessible, and recycle waste that would
otherwise be a disposal problem. And they are the
main means we have of ensuring that the phosphate
which leaks out from our arable land into the
wider environment, and that is crucial for
agricultural yields, is brought back into the food chain.”

He also challenges the United Nations Food and
Agriculture Organisation report Livestock’s Long
Shadow, which suggested that farm animals
generate 18 per cent of human-generated global
warming gases, through their flatulence and other types of emissions.

He said the figure attributes all deforestation
in the Amazon region to cattle, rather than
logging or development, and confused the gross
and net production of nitrous oxide and methane.

Mr Fairline said his earlier experiences living
on a different commune, dominated by vegans,
convinced him it was sensible to eat some meat.

He said many of he key ingredients in their diet,
including olive oil, soya milk, chickpeas,
lentils and rice, had to be imported, often from
developing countries, at huge cost despite the
existence of grass-eating dairy livestock on the site.

“We were producing, from grass, a substantial
proportion of the protein and fat that we
required for our nutrition, but this was
shunned," he said. "Instead we imported it from
countries where people go hungry.”

Tim Lang, professor of food policy at City
University, endorsed Mr Fairlie's findings which
he said were a "brilliant and eloquent" argument
for more sustainable meat-eating.

He said: "He is pointing out that, in countries
such as Britain where there are upland areas that
cannot be used to grow anything else, we may as
well have some livestock and that meat can be eaten if it is there.

"The book is still quite radical. He is not
giving the green light to go out and eat meat
because we still consume far, far more than we
should - not just on environmental grounds but as a public health issue.

"We should ask ourselves, in restaurants or
supermarkets, whether the meat on offer has lived
a sustainable life, but it is a question often
impossible to answer. Almost all the meat we
currently consume is intensively farmed."

Related Articles

    *

    <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/8012205//health/healthnews/5698784/Being-a-vegetarian-can-cut-your-risk-of-cancer-by-a-half-claim-scientists.html>Being

    <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/8012205//news/newstopics/celebritynews/5538648/Sir-Paul-McCartney-calls-for-meat-free-Mondays-to-combat-climate-change.html>Sir

    <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/8012205//news/worldnews/europe/belgium/5322315/Ghent-declares-every-Thursday-Veggie-day.html>Ghent

    <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/8012205//finance/businessclub/7899269/Carbon-Trust-rebrands-support-for-green-entrepreneurs.html>Carbon
Trust rebrands support for green entrepreneurs

    *

    <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/8012205//property/greenproperty/6055102/Sir-Terence-Conran-celebrates-an-eco-house-in-France.html>Sir
Terence Conran celebrates an eco house in France

+44 (0)7786 952037
http://tonygosling.blip.tv/
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung