Post Exodus - Marsh Farm's Communalist revolution

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Wed Apr 13 21:06:12 BST 2011

Communalist revolution

A £50m regeneration scheme changed little, say
residents of a deprived estate, so this time they
want to do things their way. Alexandra Topping on the Marsh Farm radicals
    *
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/mar/12/http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/alexandratopping>Alexandra
Topping
    *
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/mar/12/http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian>The
Guardian, Wednesday 12 March 2008
    * http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/mar/12/regeneration.communities

On the wall of a slightly chaotic office on the
Marsh Farm estate, on the outskirts of Luton,
hangs a huge poster of revolutionary icon Che
Guevara. Scrawled beneath are the words: "Hasta
la victoria siempre" (Always, until victory). It
is a phrase that captures the mood of the estate
residents sitting around the table.

"We have ruffled a lot of feathers, and I don't
think that by the end of this process there will
be a lot of feathers unruffled," says Glenn
Jenkins, the 44-year-old resident and chair of
Marsh Farm Outreach (MFOR), a not-for-profit
enterprise that promotes community involvement.

Jenkins is at the heart of a battle that has been
going on at Marsh Farm since the area won
government regeneration funding as part of the
New Deal for Communities (NDC) in 2000. He says
local residents have been consistently sidelined
and excluded from the process. "We have learnt
what it means to have your needs as a community
ignored - to have a voice and not be heard," he says.

The tower blocks and low-rise 1960s semis of the
Marsh Farm estate house a socially excluded
population. Around 20% of young people over the
age of 16 are still "neets" (not in education,
employment or training), the average wage is
around £16,000, and drug problems are rife. The
estate earned brief notoriety in 1995 when
disenchantment erupted into violence, with three
days of riots. "These are the forgotten people,"
says Steve Williams, a local resident and member
of MFOR. "There are people here who've been
unemployed their whole lives. Whenever someone
from here wants to better themselves, they move out."

But in 2000, the newly formed Marsh Farm
Community Development Trust (MFCDT) - a coalition
of residents, service providers and the council -
became one of 39 of the most deprived communities
to win £50m regeneration funding from the
government's NDC. "Everyone was so positive,"
Williams recalls. "This £50m, if used in the
right way, was going to change people's lives."

Eight years later, evidence of the area's
transformation is scarce. The centre is largely
unchanged, devoid of all but a few hardy
shoppers, and the many problems that plagued
Marsh Farm before the NDC cash show little sign
of being eradicated. Critics argue that money has
been frittered away, and are unhappy about the
£3.1m spent on external consultants in the last eight years.

Graham Maunders, interim chief executive of the
MFCDT, disagrees. He says: "Regeneration does not
happen overnight, it takes a long time, But we
have made inroads." He cites a 23% increase in
the number of pupils gaining five A-C GCSEs in
local schools, an 11% drop in crime, 62 new
nursery places, and a number of new businesses created.

The NDC, conceived in the early days of the Blair
government, aimed to be radically different from
failed regeneration packages of the past. Instead
of a top-down approach, communities would design
and deliver the programme that would bring
greater prosperity to their neighbourhoods. It is
a vision that has gone badly wrong, according to some residents of Marsh Farm.

A "battle of conflicting visions" led to a
damning - and, Jenkins claims, untrue - report
commissioned by Luton council's public scrutiny
committee in 2004 into the way the trust was
being run. Jenkins offered to resign from the
board of directors, demanding that the report be
held to public scrutiny, but says his resignation
was not accepted. An interim management team was
put in place to make the trust into a more
"Luton-council compliant" body, Jenkins claims.
"The original development plan - the one that we
won the bid with - was torn up."

Subsequently, elections to the trust's board were
suspended in 2006 to enable continuity while the
estate master plan was being debated, according
to the trust. But in 2007, five elected resident
board members departed after they took concerns
about the way finances were being handled to Go
East, the regional government office. Maunders
says the directors were "removed", not "sacked".
"Their conduct was such that the board could not
continue," he says. "We encourage robust
discussion and different points of view, but you
have to argue through your case and the board has
to reach decisions and move forward, otherwise it just can't function."

The original plan for Marsh Farm's regeneration
had at its heart the acquisition and
redevelopment of a former electronics factory,
and the building was bought in early 2003 for
£4.4m. But last autumn, the MFCDT announced that
a new master plan - which would demolish the
building to make way for new houses, and would
involve building a considerably smaller Community
Enterprise and Resource Centre on a nearby
roundabout - would be its "preferred option".

Jenkins and his team canvassed the estate, and
within three days had got 1,000 signatures on a
petition demanding a public vote on the issue. In
the resulting ballot, in which 350 people voted,
64% of residents chose the original plan, option
1, to redevelop the existing Community Enterprise
and Resource Centre, rejecting the trust's recommendation, option 4A.

The trust will now pursue option 1, but because
of concerns about costs, is preparing a business
plan for option 4A as a back-up option, Maunders
says. "There is a danger we won't get the funding
unless we deliver something," he explains. "The
board was concerned that if we get to a point in
a few months' time and we find we can't deliver
option 1, then all would be lost . . . hence the idea of having a substitute."

Jenkins is adamant that the trust now has a duty
to respect local residents' decisions. "If they
force through option 4A, they would be saying
there is no such thing as local democracy," he insists.

Social enterprises

The vote has paved the way for the development of
a multi-functional community hub, mooted in the
original development plan, with community
services, business centre and social space. It
will also contain a series of a social
enterprises, known as the Organisation Workshop,
which aims to start up several community
businesses - including an MOT centre, indoor
children's play park, and a builders' cooperative.

The workshop is a response to research from the
New Economics Foundation, which revealed that, in
the UK, if just 10% of annual spending on
everyday public services was redirected to
services delivered locally by local people and
businesses, the equivalent of 15 times total
annual regeneration spend would go directly into those communities.

Marsh Farm's 3,200 dwellings have a "GDP" of
around £94m, but only a fraction of that is spent
in the area, according to the 2005 report,
Plugging the Leaks. Ruth Potts, spokeswoman for
the New Economics Foundation, says a new approach
is needed because of the limited impact of past
government regeneration funding. "Often,
government money that enters an area leaves
almost immediately, to pay for external
contractors for physical redevelopment, for
example," she says. "For regeneration to work, it
absolutely has to involve and harness the
potential of the local community by creating
locally embedded responses to local needs."

The workshop - an idea that has been successful
in Africa and South America, but has never been
attempted in a developed country - is radically
different from other regeneration programmes,
Jenkins claims. It will employ "hard-to-reach"
residents - the long-term unemployed, for
example, who, after an initial eight-week
training period, will "learn by doing", guided by expert mentors.

The workshop has the continued backing of the
trust and key partners, despite wrangling over
the master plan. It is also supported by the
neighbourhood renewal unit of the Department for
Communities and Local Government, even though it
has labelled the scheme "novel and contentious".
But with so much riding on its success, is the
workshop not an unacceptable risk? Williams says:
"Why do they have to keep regenerating these
areas? Because previous attempts haven't worked.
We have the biggest stake in pulling this off in
Marsh Farm because in 2010, when all these people
[the development trust] have gone, we still live here."

Grassroots

Jenkins laughs at the suggestion that they are
trying to create a communist mini-state on the
outskirts of Luton. "This is not communism - that
was all top-down," he says. "This is about
community development from the grassroots up, and
the creation of a micro-economy. We're communalists, not communists."

He admits that the last eight years have been
difficult, but he now wants to focus on the
opportunity the workshop can provide. Perhaps
taking inspiration from the resilience of the
more famous revolutionary pinned to his wall, he
says: "If at the end of it, after eight years of
struggle, we manage to create a sustainable way
of making 100 new jobs and rebuilding the social
fabric of this place , then that would be a worthwhile journey."

<http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/mar/12/http://www.societyguardian.co.uk/communities>SocietyGuardian.co.uk/communities

Glenn is on the evil fb
http://www.youtube.com/user/PublicEnquiry/
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung