Video: Dark forces gather to flatten half UK's biggest gypsy site

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sun Apr 17 15:55:59 BST 2011

Dale farm blog with link to twitter - fb etc.
http://dalefarm.wordpress.com/
Tony

Basildon Torys' Ethnic Cleansing - Dale Farm
Battle Looms - Laura Emmett, Russia Today
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrXxOyUwcIM

Eviction battle looms at UK’s biggest gypsy site
http://rt.com/news/uk-gypsies-eviction-dale-camp/

Edited: 16 April, 2011, 15:01
Eviction battle looms at UK’s Dale Farm – the
country’s largest traveler site (image from noiselab.co.uk)

A Tory local council in Britain is preparing to
evict more than a thousand people from the
country's largest traveler site, which has been
running for four decades, a move which some critics liken to ethnic cleansing.

The operation to get them out may come at immense
cost for Britain, and not only financially.

It is an age-old story – traveler communities
being moved on, because they are not welcome
where they settle. One of the biggest evictions
in British history is being planned for Dale
Farm, which is why the move is being likened to ethnic cleansing.

“I’ve got four kids living on Dale Farm,”
traveler Michelle says. “It’s our home, it’s our
lives. Where else are we going to go?”

Travelers have been living at Dale Farm since the
1970s. The settlement started off small, but then
newcomers bought land around it and built homes without legal permission.

In the local town, feelings run high. Many people
told RT the travelers are messy and noisy,
driving the crime rate up and property values
down. Most refused to talk on camera, saying they
feared violent retribution. Those who did were guarded in their answers.

“I think that everybody should pay their whack in
the way of rates and taxes, and I don’t believe
they do,” a local man explained to RT.

“If people live around them, their house prices go down,” a woman said.

“They should be treated the same [way] as
everybody else
 I understand their plight but
they shouldn’t be there, and [their settlement]
shouldn’t have grown as big as it has,” another man agreed.

But others say the land the travelers built on
was a scrap yard, not green belt, and the
travelers are being persecuted because of their different way of life.

“I’m all for protection of the green belt. I do
not think that that particular bit constitutes
pristine meadow in any way,” a campaigner Ann
Kobayashi argues. “I agree that there are always
people in every community who, you know, mess
things up. But this is common in every single
community within the country. It is not unique to
travelers and gypsies. And in fact, Dale Farm is
a peaceful place compared to many housing estates in Basildon.”

Whatever the truth, Basildon council voted
overwhelmingly to get the travelers out, and a
court order backs them up. But it will not come
cheap, with litigation and bailiffs and what
could be a two-month-long continuous operation.

“If some of the threats that have been made by
travelers, that they will fight, go through, and
from other organizations, who are not travelers,
who will come down just to have a punch up with
the authorities, then the costs will really soar.
It could cost up to £8 million,” town councillor Tony Ball said.

That figure rises to £18 million including the
police operation – a staggering US$29 million. It
is a particularly huge sum in austerity Britain,
where cuts are being made to council funding all over the country.

The cost of the eviction has not deterred the
council though, and nor have threats of violence
from the travelers. Battle lines are being drawn
at Dale Farm. The thousand-strong community
swears it will fight, literally if necessary,
because they have got nowhere else to go. And
Basildon council will match that force with bags
of cash – and the conviction that the law is on their side.

http://rt.com/news/uk-gypsies-eviction-dale-camp/
+44 (0)7786 952037
http://www.youtube.com/user/PublicEnquiry/
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung