Mega pig farm to house 25k animals in metal sheds 24hrs a day

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Tue Apr 19 18:31:17 BST 2011

Mega farms could drive hundreds of UK farms out of business
http://www.clickgreen.org.uk/opinion/opinion/122161-mega-farms-could-drive-hundreds-of-uk-farms-out-of-business.html

Fears over gigantic pig farm to house 25,000
animals in metal sheds 24 hours a day
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1377875/Gigantic-pig-farm-house-25-000-animals-metal-sheds.html
By David Derbyshire - 18th April 2011 -
A gigantic ‘pig factory’ where 25,000 sows and
piglets will be housed in vast metal sheds round the clock is being planned.
The controversial complex will send 1,000 pigs to
slaughter every week – enough to make 56million sausages a year.
The industrial-scale farm planned for Foston,
Derbyshire, would be one of the largest of its kind in the UK.
Animal campaigners warn that it could drive
hundreds of traditional family farms out of
business and herald a wave of American-style
‘mega-farms’. There are also concerns about the
welfare of animals raised in such artificial conditions.
Plans for the 30-acre complex have been submitted
to Derbyshire County Council and are now open for consultation.
The company behind the farm, Midland Pig
Producers, owns 30 farms in eight countries and
produces more than 100,000 pigs a year.
It came under fire earlier this year for
threatening opponents who criticised the plans
with a hugely expensive libel action.
It says the factory will not smell, and that the
welfare of the animals will be a priority.
Plans for the UK’s first mega-dairy housing up to
8,000 cows in Nocton, Lincolnshire, were shelved in February after protests.
The Soil Association, which campaigns for organic
farming, said hundreds of farmers could be driven
out of business if mega-farms came to Britain and
flooded the market with cheap milk and meat.
Policy director Peter Melchett said: ‘Developers
claim they’re meeting public demand, but it’s
wrong to say the British public are demanding
that cows must be kept inside throughout the
months they are milked, or that mother pigs
should spend their entire lives shut up inside a factory.’
Simon Pope of the World Society for the
Protection of Animals said: ‘We know from America
that the real cost of food produced in factory
farms is poor animal welfare, pollution and the
economic death knell for thousands of small scale farmers.
‘That cannot be something we sleepwalk into
accepting here. If we do, it’s difficult to see
how the British countryside and our traditional
rural communities will ever be the same again.’
A spokesman for Midland Pig Producers said: ‘In
order for UK farming companies to compete with
meat imported from abroad – which is not produced
to the high UK welfare standards – they must be economically effective.
‘We have repeatedly stressed that animal welfare
is our top priority and our plans for the Foston
site are to the highest possible specification.
These plans have been inspected by some of the
most highly respected animal welfare groups who
have not raised any objections.’

+44 (0)7786 952037
http://www.youtube.com/user/PublicEnquiry/
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung