Ex-servicemen intent on financial justice, take over E. London Court

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Tue Dec 20 23:59:26 GMT 2011

Occupy protesters take over disused London courthouse to hold 'mock
trials'... after arriving by TANK
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2076740/Occupy-London-protesters-disused-courthouse-hold-mock-trials.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

The G unfortunately have no pix
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/dec/20/occupy-london-protesters-take-over-court

Claiming squatters' rights after getting into Old Street Magistrates' Court
Vow to try 'the one per cent' they blame for economic crisis
Will use real solicitors as prosecution before a retired judge
Protester: 'Government failed to bring those responsible to justice,
so we felt the people should do it instead.'

By Simon Tomlinson - Daily Mail - 20th December 2011
Around 50 Occupy protesters stormed a derelict court building in
London today after driving there in a tank on a mission to bring
'those responsible' for the economic crisis to justice.
They have vowed to hold mock trials at Old Street Magistrates' Court
for alleged corrupt politicians and greedy bankers using real
solicitors before a retired judge.
The group also includes a new offshoot comprising ex-servicemen who
call themselves 'Occupy veterans'.
Claiming squatters' rights: Some of the 50 demonstrators who took
over the court building congregate on the steps as they spell out
their plans to try allegedly corrupt politicians and bankers
The protesters have already unfurled a giant 'Occupy Everywhere'
banner along the roof of the courthouse, although legal notices put
on doors establishing their 'rights' as squatters had been ripped down by noon.
They scribbled the names of bankers and politicians on chalkboards
outside the court's cells.
Occupy member Adam Fitzmaurice, a 28-year-old music industry
management student, said: 'We are going to use the courthouse to put
some people on trial.
'The government has failed to bring those responsible to justice, so
we felt the people should do it instead. We've got a retired judge
and real solicitors.'
But asked whether they expected their 'defendants' to attend, fellow
Occupy protester Ronan McNern admitted: 'We might have to try them in
absentia.'
Taking ownership: One protester scales a barbed wire-covered fence
around the complex, while another flicks a peace sign on the steps of
the courthouse. They plan to use real solicitors in their mock trials

Emacs!

On the frontline: Members of Occupy Veterans, a group of
ex-servicemen intent on financial justice, led by Joe Glenton (right)
next to the 'Tank of Ideas'

He added: 'We are targeting the people we feel have been let off or
not been brought to justice - it could be bankers, politicians or companies.
'These are not mock trials. These are trials with qualified
solicitors. It's not about staging anything. The accused will be
invited to attend.'
Mr McNern denied the building was a glorified squat, saying: 'This
building has been empty since 1996, which is a travesty given what is
currently going on.
'This is about inviting the public in, just as we did with the 'bank
of ideas' in the disused UBS building.'
A statement posted on the group's website said: 'As Occupy London
Stock Exchange occupation prepares to present its case at the High
Court today, members of Occupy London have liberated a disused court
house - Old Street Magistrates' Court - in London's East End
alongside a group of military veterans, Occupy Veterans.
'The opening of Occupy London's fourth occupation, will see the
movement conducting 'trials of the one per cent' in the abandoned
magistrates' court building which has lain empty since 1996 despite
its prime location and Grade II listing.'
Down to the last detail: The activists scribbled the names of bankers
and politicians on chalkboards outside the court's cells in readiness
for their pretend hearings
A Met Police spokesperson said: 'Officers were called to a disused
building on Old Street this morning following a report of squatters in place.
'Officers from Hackney attended the scene. No arrests have been made.'
The results of a poll published today shows that nearly two-thirds of
Christians surveyed (63 per cent) thought the Church of England
should do more to speak out against the financial sector.
This compared to just one in five (22 per cent) respondents who disagreed.
Peter Kerridge, CEO of Premier Christian Media Trust, which
commissioned the survey, said: 'The Church of England found
themselves in a difficult position when taken by surprise by the
protesters encampment.
'However the Bishop of London's intervention did make a positive
difference to what could have become a truly disastrous situation.
'The results clearly show that Christians believe the Church could
have responded better to the protesters as well as doing more to
combat corruption within some parts of the financial sector.
'Even David Cameron, recently acknowledged that the absence of a
Christian moral code allowed some bankers and politicians to behave
immorally to the detriment of British society.
'The Prime Minister's speech has now given the Church of England the
perfect opportunity to take a stand against this corruption on behalf
of the Christian community and beyond.'