Luddites' harmful technology breaking for the 200th anniversary

Ned Ludd tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Dec 22 18:58:48 GMT 2011

Dear Friends,

Over the past 9 months the Luddites200 Organising
Forum has achieved a great deal on a very small
budget.  We have built a network from scratch,
created a website and blog, given nearly 20
workshops and organised our own events, produced
publications and even taken direct action.  We
have succeeded in making many people aware of the
Luddite anniversary, and have begun a crucial
conversation about the relevance of the Luddites
to current debates around technology.

We've now reached a tricky point, where we need
your help. We have some exciting plans for next
year, including a festival and an activist
gathering, but sadly, we are running very short
of money. This is partly because our benefit gig
in Leeds failed to raise any funds, although it
was a very good event in all other respects.

It's very hard for projects like ours, which
don't fit into conventional funders' categories,
to raise money from foundations. So we're hoping
that you will be able to give us a hand, in order
to make sure that we can carry through on our plans for next year.

We know that a lot of people are asking for your
money at this time of year, but please bear in
mind that a donation from you from you will make
more difference to us than it will to larger
organisations, which have access to many sources of funding.

What We've Done

We have:
    * Organised successful events in London,
Nottingham and Leeds and given nearly 20 workshops all over the country.
    * Produced the special feature for Housmans
Peace Diary 2012, contributed to the special
issue of The Land magazine, and written a number
of other articles and blog posts.
    * Created our own website and blog.
    * Created a supporters network of nearly 400
people and an expanding organising group
    * Taken direct action to put pressure on the
People's History Museum in Manchester to celebrate the Luddites.

How to donate

There are two ways to donate: by cheque, or
online via Paypal.  In both cases, payment will
be made to Human Genetics Alert, a supportive
organisation which is allowing us to use their
bank account.  Your money will go to Luddites200.

Please send cheques payable to Human Genetics
Alert to 22B St Kilda's Rd, London N16 5BZ,
noting that they are for Luddites200.  Online
payments can be made by going to the Luddites200
blog (www.luddites200blog.org.uk) and using the
donate button on the right hand side.

If you donate £20 or more we will send you a free
copy of The Land special issue (for which you'll
need to give us your postal address).

Thanks very much for your support so far.  We
look forward to celebrating the Luddites with you in 2012.

Best wishes,

Ned

luddites200 at yahoo.co.uk
www.luddites200.org.uk