Government urged to rethink forest sell off plan

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Feb 3 22:27:35 GMT 2011

With video if you are on broadband.
Tony

Page last updated at 13:23 GMT, Thursday, 3 February 2011
Government urged to rethink forest sell off plan
http://news.bbc.co.uk/democracylive/hi/house_of_commons/newsid_9385000/9385055.stm

The government has come under further criticism over its plans to
sell much of England's publicly owned woodland.

At Commons question time on 3 February 2011, MPs from all sides of
the House pressed ministers to guarantee that the public would still
be able to access England's national forests after the land had been
sold or leased.

Environment Secretary Caroline Spelman said ministers had repeatedly
given assurances to MPs that access and public benefits would be protected.

But Labour, who tabled an opposition day debate on the proposed sell
off on 2 February, called on the minister to "stop and think again"
about pushing ahead with the plans.

The government launched a consultation on plans to sell off or lease
England's 258,000-hectare public forest estate - currently managed by
the Forestry Commission on behalf of the environment, food and rural
affairs department - to the private sector or to not for profit
organisations, last week.

Opponents of the move fear it could compromise nature protection and
restrict public access to national woodland.

Environment Secretary Caroline Spelman told MPs: "We need to make it
absolutely clear that this is a genuine consultation, unlike a lot of
consultations that I experienced under the last government.

"We want as many people [as possible] to take part. It is a statutory
three-month period. Ministers will reflect on those considerations
and bring to the House our considered view in timely fashion."

But Mary Creagh, Labour's shadow environment secretary, said the
government planned to sell off 10,000 hectares of public forest
before the consultation was over.

This was more than was sold in Labour's entire period in office, she said.

"Isn't it the case with the public forests that the honourable lady
does not know what she is doing or why she is doing it and nobody
wants her to do it. Is it not time to stop and think again?" she asked.

Ms Spelman said it was under Labour that public forest estate was
sold without any guarantee that public access rights would be protected.
+44 (0)7786 952037
http://tonygosling.blip.tv/
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic poison which
alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung