[Diggers350] Forest sell-offs reply to Dave B

david bangs dave.bangs at virgin.net
Sat Feb 19 13:44:47 GMT 2011

Cheers, Mark. Good stuff.

I don't think that the Nat Trust's Fiona Reynolds "dealt the final death blow to the privatisation proposals", though. Far from it, for the government can always rely on a friendlily fudged response from the NT.

The Forestry Commission chiefs themselves have had only 30 mins of time with the minister since these proposals were broached, so I'm told.

The minister's climb-down was clearly not primarily a response to 'top brass' lobbying.

The plain reason why the proposals were dropped was because of the massive, angry, irreconcileable, and creative grass roots (tree roots) campaign. This campaign mobilised huge numbers across all classes, but particularly middle class and even owning class folk who are natural voters for the ConDems. Furthermore, the government could drop the privatisation because it involved no core interests for capital. It was marginal to their central project. I don't think we are going to make Andrew Lansley retreat from his NHS privatisation or Duncan Smith from his benefits blitz with the same ease...

The Morning Star got it right in their report of the18th when they warned of the dangers from Env Sec Spelman's commitment to set up a panel to advise her on the future of the FC (which will include "reps of key env and access orgs alongside reps of the forestry industry")...We are going to see the same bunch of do-nothing conservation NGO bureaucrats and sharks from the likes of Tilhill, Fountain Forestry and woodlotting 'Woodlands For Sale' reviewing the future of an industry none of them campaigned to save...and which many of them would have cherry-picked.

In the same report Ian Waddell from UNITE warned of the devastation which will be caused by the FC job and grant funding cuts.

Indeed, what has made me unable to sleep sometimes is the appalling threat from new plant diseases - Sudden Oak Death and Oak Decline amongst others - which have the power to trash our countryside on a scale which makes Dutch Elm disease seem like winter flu. I do not think the FC or DEFRA have the resources or 'punch' to combat these multiplying threats, and the privatisation issue has forced our eyes off the ball on that one.

I have just been looking at 4 and 5 plus span veteran Sussex oaks and I weep to think that our generation may be the last to see these up-to-a-millennium-or-more aged giants...

Dave Bangs