SEEDY SUNDAY IS TEN!

trulymadlymaybe circesfeast at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 14 14:59:04 GMT 2011

PRESS RELEASE JANUARY 2011

SEEDY SUNDAY IS TEN!

Hove Town Hall, Norton Road, Hove
Sunday 6th February 2011

Seedy Sunday, the country's largest community seed swap which has inspired at least 50 similar annual events in the UK, will be celebrating it's 10th birthday in style with the largest seed swap table yet, more stalls, demonstrations, talks and all things horticultural at Hove Town Hall on the 6th February 2011.

Seedy Sunday offers people a fun and practical way to grow `outlawed' or commercially unavailable fruit, vegetables and herb varieties whilst helping support a vibrant local food growing culture. On Sunday 6th February 2011 Hove Town Hall will be buzzing with the sound of people swapping a District Nurse for a Gravedigger or a Red Elephant(i) and more besides.

You can swap seeds or make a donation if you have no seeds to swap, buy seed potatoes, talk to seed doctors, and be inspired by exhibitions, workshops, stalls, films and talks on the importance of biodiversity.

Come along and find out how to save and swap seeds; make compost; make your garden or allotment bee-friendly; make your surplus crops into edible feasts; make seed bombs and lots more.

Sponsored by Brighton-based Infinity Foods(ii), Seedy Sunday brings together gardeners, seed savers, farmers, herb and wild flower enthusiasts, local gardening and community groups as well as organisations campaigning for sustainable food production and biodiversity.

Seedy Sunday is a call to gardeners, consumers and the whole community to take action to protect our heritage and "outlaw" seeds for future generations & break the stranglehold of the three giant " lifescience" corporations, Monsanto, DuPont and Bayer, who have taken control of half the worlds seed market.

Patrick Mulvaney(iii), co- chair of the UK Food Group commented:

"Seedy Sunday has blazed the trail for UK seed swaps over the past decade: it is the must-be-there event for seed swappers, conservers, developers and newcomers. It exudes innovation, creativity and common sense. It shows up the idiocy of draconian seed laws and the Gene Giants' restrictive practices: in this warming world we need to exchange more diversity of uncontaminated plants to secure future food. Seedy Sunday builds solidarity among all of us who respect our collective rights to save, sow, swap and sell seeds grown in our gardens and farms: it gives strength to seed law busters. Congratulations on your 10th birthday and may there be many more!"

Cost of admission is only £2 and the event runs from 10am to 4.30pm.

See website for speakers and stallholders  www.seedysunday.org
Further information email seedysundaybrighton at yahoo.co.uk or call 01273 383186
there are 20,000 edible plant species – how many do you eat?
(i)  District Nurse: variety of climbing french bean; Gravedigger: pea; Red Elephant: variety of carrot:
(ii) Infinity Foods   www.infinityfoods.co.uk
 (iii)  Patrick Mulvaney www.ukfg.org      www.practicalaction.org
www.newint.org/features/2010/09/01/keynote-seed-savers/

Talks from Heritage Seed Library, Kew Seed Bank, Helena Paul of Econexus, Co-op Plan Bee, Pesticide Action Network, Open Mic for community food groups with Brighton's "Harvest* and local Gardeners Question Time, for all your food growing & seed saving queries.

More information about Seedy Sunday, the event & back-story on our website.

cheers m'dears,
Kim t