Wassail highlights threat to Bristol allotments

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Mon Jan 17 19:16:58 GMT 2011

Cameron is making me and the NHS sick today while reading from a pre
prepared script probably written by a robot.
Meanwhile real people doing real stuff.

Wassail highlights threat to allotments
http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/Wassail-highlights-threat-allotments/article-3107585-detail/article.htm

A COMMUNITY wassail helped Shirehampton campaigners to launch their
bid to protect allotment land near their homes.

Bristol Morris Men were invited to dance at the wassail organised by
members of the Tynings Field Community Group (TFCG) and Leyfield
allotment site representatives Paul and Sheila Warrilow. The new
community group was set up to protect allotments in Shirehampton.
Many of the campaigners were devastated when Bristol City Council
proposed building on green spaces at the Daisy Field and allotments
at Woodwell Road.

Local campaigner Caroline Penny has initiated an application for Town
Green status for the Daisy Field and people in Shirehampton will be
asked to give evidence that the space has been used by them for at
least the last 20 years.

Ms Penny said: "We aim to set it up as a farm project. Members pay a
fee dependent on how much of a share they want in the way of
vegetables offset against the cost of renting the land. We all do a
bit as volunteer working members.

"Our group is about preserving this historically green area of
Shirehampton which is important to the local community.

"I have handed in petitions with hundreds of signatures for this
field to be given a green space use and not to be sold off for
development. We would urge the council to listen to us and support us
with this project which itself will go a long way towards putting
Bristol on the map as a green city and will benefit the local
community from cradle to grave."
+44 (0)7786 952037
http://tonygosling.blip.tv/
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic poison which
alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung