Third undercover police spy unmasked as scale of network emerges

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Tue Jan 18 22:37:48 GMT 2011

Third undercover police spy unmasked as scale of network emerges
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/jan/14/third-undercover-police-spy-cardiff
• 44-year-old infiltrated Cardiff anarchist group
• Former girlfriend tells of 'colossal, colossal betrayal'
Paul Lewis, Matthew Taylor and Rajeev Syal - The
Guardian, Saturday 15 January 2011

Emacs!

Protesters near Kingsnorth power station in 2008.
Following revelations about Mark Kennedy, the
Guardian has identified a third undercover police
spy. Photograph: Daniel Berehulak/Getty Images

The unprecedented scale of undercover operations
used by police to monitor Britain's political
protest movements was laid bare last night after
a third police spy was identified by the Guardian.

News of the existence of the 44-year-old male
officer comes as regulators prepare two separate
official inquiries into the activities of this
hitherto secret police surveillance network.

The latest officer, whose identity has been
withheld amid fears for his safety in other
criminal operations, worked for four years
undercover with an anarchist group in Cardiff.

Last night a former girlfriend and fellow
activist said she felt "colossally betrayed" by
"Officer B". The 29-year-old, who had a
relationship with him for three months in the
summer of 2008 while he was working undercover,
said: "I was doing nothing wrong, I was not
breaking the law at all. So for him to come along
and lie to us and get that deep into our lives
was a colossal, colossal betrayal."

The woman, who did not want to be named, said
"Officer B" arrived in Cardiff in 2005, becoming
a key member of the 20-strong Anarchist network
in the city and "one of her best friends". They
had known each for three years before their
relationship and she said she did not suspect his
true identity until after he left Cardiff in
October 2009, claiming he had been offered a job as a gardener on Corfu.

According to the woman Officer B's flat was very
empty, with no pictures of friends or family and
he rarely talked about his past. "He always said
he could not tell his family or friends about us
because of the age difference ... if it had been
anyone else I would have thought that was
strange, but because [he] had been such a good
friend for so long it really did not enter my
mind that he was anything but a stand-up honest man."

Before he left for Corfu he held a goodbye
dinner. His former girlfriend said she kept in
touch with him for about a month via email, text
message and the occasional postcard. Then the contact dried up.

"At first friends started messaging him asking if
he was all right, then when there was no
response, a few messaged him to say they were
worried he was a spy, but we never heard anything."

The woman said that the experience had rocked her
confidence and made her suspicious of other campaigners.

"I am incredibly, incredibly angry," she said.
"Obviously to do that to anybody is pretty low,
but to do that to someone who trusted you and
cared about you and did their best to look after
you is just unspeakable. I cannot imagine the
kind of person who would lie to someone they were
having a relationship with for that long and that
seriously ... I strongly suspect that he felt
very bad about what he was doing, but that is not an excuse."

The latest developments came as the Independent
Police Complaints Commission announced it was
widening its inquiry to include the controversy
surrounding PC Mark Kennedy, who was the first
officer unmasked by the Guardian and who also had
sexual relations while undercover.

It is understood a second inquiry is to be
launched by Her Majesty's Chief Inspectorate of
Constabulary on Monday into whether the
undercover surveillance was disproportionate.

Last night it was reported that the trial of six
campaigners accused of trying to shutdown a power
station at Ratcliffe-on-Soar collapsed because
police had withheld secret recordings featuring Kennedy and the activists.

The Times said the Crown Prosecution Service
abandoned the trial when it was informed that
Nottinghamshire police had suppressed tapes that
"fatally undermined the case against the protesters".

More details on the scale of Kennedy's key role
in protest movements across Europe emerged
yesterday, with allegations that he acted as an
agent provocateur in Ireland, Germany and
Iceland. It was also revealed that the second
undercover agent – "Officer A" – was arrested for
glueing herself to the Department for Transport
during a protest against Heathrow's expansion in February 2008.

In a twist that will further unnerve senior
police officers, it emerged that Kennedy has
asked the public relations agent Max Clifford to sell his story.