Dale Farm papers served: 'We are willing to die if that's what it's going to take'

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Wed Jul 6 22:53:52 BST 2011

EVICTION NOTICES SERVED: CAMP CONSTANT WILL START SAT 27th AUGUST
Posted on July 4, 2011 by dalefarmsupport
Today, Monday 4th July, some 90 families at Dale
Farm, the UK’s largest Traveller community, were
delivered final notices of eviction, giving
families until midnight on August 31 to abandon
their homes, or face their entire community being
bulldozed. The central government and Basildon
Council have set aside over £18m for the eviction
battle that could last three weeks. It will be
the biggest clearance of its kind involving the
ploughing up of 54 separate plots which were
created out of a former concrete scrap-yard,
purchased by the Travellers ten years ago. These
notices were left attached to peoples homes (see
photo, left). Here are copies of the letters:
Eviction notice p1 Eviction notice p2 Eviction notice p3 Eviction notice p4
Dale Farm is only a 30 minute train ride from
London, and hundreds of people have pledged to
join residents in nonviolent resistance to the
destruction of Dale Farm. The residents of Dale
Farm have encouraged their supporters to
establish a base at Dale Farm, Camp Constant, to
resist this eviction and house human rights monitors............
http://dalefarm.wordpress.com/2011/07/04/massive-call-out-for-action-28-day-eviction-notices-served/

Videos at both of these BBC links below

4 July 2011 Last updated at 20:20
Travellers at the Dale Farm site in Essex have
been erecting barricades after bailiffs served
them with orders to quit the camp.
The settlement, near Crays Hill, has been the
scene of a bitter dispute for years, but now 90
families have been ordered to quit by the end of August.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-14018681

Dale Farm travellers camp eviction notices served
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-14017865
One traveller said they would set gas cylinders on fire and use petrol bombs
Eviction notices have been served on families
living illegally at England's largest travellers' site.
Basildon Council has given people living on 51
unauthorised pitches at Dale Farm, Essex, until the end of August to leave.
More than 400 travellers currently live at the former scrapyard.
About half of the 100 pitches do not have
planning permission. Travellers began to set up
pitches illegally on the greenbelt land in 2001.
The notice requires them to vacate the land or
the council will enter and dismantle the camp.
Kathleen McCarthy, from Dale Farm, said a lot of
the travellers were very distressed at the notices being served.
'People left homeless'
Policing the clearance of what is thought to be
the largest traveller site in Europe could cost up to £9.5m.
The first £2.5m in costs are to be met by Essex
Police Authority (EPA). The next £2.4m is to be
shared equally between the Home Office and Basildon Council.
A further £2.3m in costs will be met by the Home
Office alone who will then share the remainder with the EPA.
Richard Sheridan, president of the Gypsy Council,
said it was unlikely residents would leave before the 28-day deadline expired.
He said: "You have to ask if it is value for
money for taxpayers to pay millions for the
police operation and millions more when these people are left homeless.
'Poor advice'
"They will not leave voluntarily so I suppose the
police will have to go in and I don't suppose the
residents will welcome them with open arms."
Basildon Council leader Tony Ball said he was
"concerned that a number of campaigners are
giving poor advice to the travellers, leading
them to pursue continual challenges rather than
urging them to make preparations to leave".
Mr Ball added: "I believe this has given the
travellers false hope as it has made them believe
a last-minute legal ruling could stop the site
clearance. I feel these campaigners are doing a
great disservice to the people they are attempting to help.
"As a result, over the years few people on this
site have accepted our offers of help. That said,
there is still absolutely no reason why children,
the elderly or vulnerable should end up on the roadside."
+44 (0)7786 952037
http://www.youtube.com/user/PublicEnquiry/
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung