Bristol Free Shop evicted then re-occupied yesterday

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Fri Jul 8 11:02:49 BST 2011

news is this morning that the free shop has been re-occupied & all
residents slept there again last night

Stokes Croft Freeshop Eviction
http://bristol.indymedia.org/article/705164?&condense_comments=false#comment53507

Kitten ignores bailiffs at Freeshop eviction
Friday, July 08, 2011 - Bristol Evening Post
http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Kitten-ignores-bailiffs-Freeshop-eviction/story-12905147-detail/story.html
A TINY kitten caused headaches for security guards during a Stokes
Croft eviction.
The black cat was an unlucky omen for bailiffs who moved in to take
possession of the Bristol Freeshop, neighbouring art gallery the
Emporium and flats above them, at 6am yesterday.
Although the group of squatters living in the buildings on Stokes
Croft were all escorted outside, their pets had to be removed by
security firm Delta.
Out came the dog and a litter of puppies but a three-month-old stray
kitten, adopted by the group, was nowhere to be found.
Despite frantic calls to the RSPCA and after pleading with police,
security guards, and bailiffs, the female owner of the kitten, who
did not want to be named, was not allowed to re-enter the building to
search for the lost cat.
But while property company Sitex Orbis moved in to board up the
buildings, which have been run as a charity shop and art gallery by
volunteers for several years, the kitten made an appearance and was
reunited with her owner.
In June, after building owners won a court possession order to take
back the property, a protest was held at the shop. Squatters and
volunteers said they have put years of work into improving the
building which is thought to be owned by a Hong Kong-based group
called Jerwood Trading.
One 48-year-old squatter said he had been living on the premises for
the past two and a half years. He said: "I woke up this morning and
there was a man standing in my bedroom with a sledgehammer.
"We were all moved outside and they started boarding up the shop. The
good thing was we got the dogs out but then the kitten was left
inside. She must have been so frightened."
The volunteers running the gallery and shop, which is on the site of
the former Classic's dress wear shop, had hoped to buy the property
and had made an offer to the building's owners so they could continue
their work.
"Our bid to buy the shop obviously hasn't gone though but we will
continue to run the Freeshop. People are counting on us and that is
our biggest concern today. It has been quite a stressful morning."
Justin Ford, from Sitex Orbis, said: "Our instructions have been to
board up the property. There was a bit of trouble this morning but
everyone moved out very quickly."
It is understood the owners of the building intend to put it up for auction.
Tony Gosling, who has been giving the volunteers legal advice, said:
"We were in negotiations with the company and we had put a package
together to buy the property so this eviction is a real betrayal. We
will be attending the auction so there is still a chance we can move
back in and continue to offer this service for the community."
+44 (0)7786 952037
http://www.youtube.com/user/PublicEnquiry/
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic poison which
alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung