Squatters move into Gaddafi's son's House

mark mark at scraprecords.com
Wed Mar 9 18:53:13 GMT 2011

Squatters move into Gaddafi house ( 7? Winnington Rd., Hampstead Garden
Suburb N2 )

Squatters have taken over a house thought to belong to Saif al-Islam
Gaddafi, the second son of the Libyan dictator.

A group calling themselves "Topple the Tyrants" occupied the £10 million
house in Hampstead Garden Suburb in north London today.

Related articles

Gaddafi warns against no-fly zone

Gaddafi forces take rebel town in west

Saudi foreign minister warns against protests

Rebels bombarded by planes and tanks in vicious fight for Zawiyah

Terror in the air as casualties mount in Libya

Fury at Omani sultan's cash for Cambridge

Shashank Joshi: Arming rebel groups could backfire on the West, as it has
done in the past

Mark Steel: I know, let's sell weapons to a lunatic

Search the news archive for more stories

The group have vowed to remain in place until the property's assets are
returned to the Libyan people, according to the BBC.

Spokesman Montgomery Jones told the BBC: "We will stay here until we can be
sure the property will be returned to its rightful owners.

"The police came to look around, then went away. The house isn't occupied at
the moment but there are things to sit on."

The group said the property was managed by the Gaddafi family through a
holding company registered in the British Virgin Islands.

In a statement, it said: "We didn't trust the British government to properly
seize the Gaddafi regime's corrupt assets, so we took matters into our own
hands.

"In the meantime, we want to welcome refugees from the conflict in Libya and
those fleeing tyranny and oppression across the world.

"We stand in solidarity with the Libyan people."

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "Police were called to an address in
Hampstead Garden Suburb at approximately 12.50 today to reports of unknown
people entering the premises. At this time it is being treated as a civil
matter.

"There have been no arrests."

Colonel Muammar Gaddafi and his family have been stripped of diplomatic
immunity - preventing them from entering the UK - and banks and other bodies
have been told by the Treasury to prevent them using UK-held funds and
assets.

No immediate figure was put on the total value of the assets, including
cash, shares, bonds and property, but some reports put it as high as £20
billion.

An export ban has also been placed on a "significant" consignment of Libyan
banknotes - with a face value of around £900 million - amid fears it would
be used to fund violence against protesters.

www.scraprecords.com

Squatters take over Colonel Gaddafi's son's £11m London mansion
Mark Blunden, Peter Dominiczak and Emer Martin
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23930497-squatters-take-over-colonel-gaddafi-sons-pound-11m-mansion.do

Squatters occupied the £11 million London home of Colonel Gaddafi's son today in protest against the dictator's regime.

A group calling themselves Topple The Tyrants said they took over the house because they "didn't trust the British government to properly seize Gaddafi's corrupt assets".

The squatters unfurled a banner bearing a picture of Colonel Gaddafi and the slogan "Out Of Libya Out Of London" from the top of the house.

Four of them were spotted walking around on the roof as police took photographs from below.

Residents reported the burglar alarm going off at the property in Hampstead Garden Suburb. A man arrived in a black Porsche and had to be calmed down by police before driving away.

Gaddafi's son Saif tried to sell the property after his family's multi-billion pound fortune was frozen around the world. The house has a swimming pool, sauna, Jacuzzi and suede-lined cinema room.

Speaking from the roof, the group's leader, using the pseudonym Montgomery Jones, said: "We want to make sure the property goes back into the hand of the Libyan people who deserve it. We're here for a serious reason, we're not here to luxuriate: I don't think what we are doing is legal but I don't think it's relevant if you are talking about something this important."

Mr Jones, who said he got the day off work to attend the occupation, refused to say how many people were at the house or how they got in.

He said: "One of the first things we did was put on Al-Jazeera on the huge flat screen television. It's incredibly plush inside." The house is said to be part of a £300 million London portfolio of
Gaddafi assets that has been frozen.

A Met spokesman said: "At this time it is being treated as a civil matter."