Basildon Tories vote for £18m war on Dale Farm travellers

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Tue Mar 15 11:51:58 GMT 2011

Travellers vow to stay at TV camp despite eviction vote
by Don Mackay, Daily Mirror 15/03/2011
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/03/15/travellers-vow-to-stay-at-tv-camp-despite-eviction-vote-115875-22990476/
TRAVELLERS on the UK’s biggest illegal camp
threatened to “bomb, gas and burn” bailiffs as
plans for an £18million eviction were voted
through last night. More than 500 men, women and
kids are illegally camped on Dale Farm near
Billericay, Essex, which has appeared on Channel
4’s Big Fat Gypsy Wedding. Basildon council last
night voted to evict 100 families from 51
greenbelt plots. But Nora Gore, a mum-of-two,
said: “We will bomb them, we will gas them, we
will burn them if we have to but we are going to
fight. We are not going to go. “I am going to
chain myself to the railings. If that doesn’t
work we have got a few more tricks up our
sleeves.” Tony Ball, leader of the Tory-run
council, told the meeting: “Wrong is wrong. There
cannot be one rule for one and another for
others.” Travellers moved on to the greenbelt
site – next to a legal gypsy camp – in 2001.

Gypsies braced for 'war' as bulldozers move in
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/gypsies-braced-for-war-as-bulldozers-move-in-2240974.html
By Jerome Taylor - Monday, 14 March 2011
Britain's gypsies and travellers are bracing
themselves for "a state of war" as council
chiefs, encouraged by the Coalition government,
move to bulldoze the homes of hundreds of people
who live on the largest traveller site in the
country. Councillors in Basildon, Essex, are
meeting tonight to approve the £8m eviction plan
for Dale Farm, a sprawling traveller site that is
home to 96 families, and which has become the
flashpoint of a row over the future of the
country's 300,000 gypsies, who say they feel
increasingly marginalised by public attitudes and
the policies of the new government. The
inhabitants of Dale Farm have vowed to resist any
attempt to evict them. One resident, named only
as Nora, told the Travellers' Times website:
"We've things up our sleeves. It will be like
Belfast if they come in here. They haven't a clue what they're up against."
Last week the Prime Minister, David Cameron,
encouraged the evictions by describing his "sense
of unfairness that one law applied to everybody
else and, on too many occasions, another law applies to travellers".
Since coming to power the Coalition has done away
with a string of measures that were brought in to
protect traveller communities from prejudice and
encourage them to settle. Travellers fear that
the new Localism Bill, which will give local
communities more say in the planning process,
will return Britain to the mid-1990s when
travellers felt persecuted by the Conservative
government of the day, and up to 90 per cent of
planning applications by travellers were rejected.

European human rights monitors back illegal traveller camp
By Patrick Sawer 1:50PM GMT 13 Mar 2011
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8379023/European-human-rights-monitors-back-illegal-traveller-camp.html
But last week the academic from Serbia – a nation
whose death squads gave rise to the term “ethnic
cleansing” during the 1990s – was leading a
European delegation to assess whether ethnic
minorities in Britain suffer from discrimination
or inequality. Her organisation – the Council of
Europe’s Advisory Committee on the Framework
Convention for the Protection of National
Minorities – has issued reports accusing Britain
of doing too little to help asylum seekers,
migrant workers, the Cornish, and speakers of the
Ulster-Scots language.  Its latest visit may
prove its most contentious. Among the stops on
the visitors’ unpublicised five-day tour was
Crays Hill in Essex – the site of Dale Farm,
Britain’s biggest illegal traveller camp, which
police fear could soon become the scene of
violent disturbances if council chiefs press
ahead with plans to evict its residents. The
four-strong European delegation spent more than
an hour at the site listening to travellers
telling their side of the story. The families
have occupied the site – the majority with no
planning permission – for the past 10 years. They
expressed their fears that their tight-knit
community may be broken up. Among them was Mary
Ann McCarthy, 69, an Irish-born traveller who has
seven children and 20 grandchildren.
“We need a miracle, because Basildon council seem
determined to get rid of us,” Mrs McCarthy said
after the meeting. “We face a lot of prejudice
and we feel safer together here.”
However, nearby residents, who claim their
neighbourhood has been blighted by the illegal
camp, said the monitors made no attempt to speak
to them. The local parish council was not invited
to submit evidence about the problems experienced
by the camp’s neighbours. And a planned meeting
between the delegation and Basildon council –
which is behind the eviction moves – had to be
abandoned after the delegation arrived late, due
to a mix-up over trains. The talks had to be held
by telephone the following day. David
McPherson-Davis, a member of Ramsden Crays parish
council, said: “The people who have lived here
all their lives have been denied the opportunity
to tell the Council of Europe delegation what
impact the illegal settlement has had on them.
It’s completely unfair for the delegation to hear
only one side of the story. It’s as if they’ve
come here with a closed mind.” The monitors are
expected to write a report backing the
travellers’ fight to stay. Tomorrow , councillors
are expected to vote to set aside £8 million to
pay for the eviction and restoration of the site.
Essex Police are asking the Home Office to cover
the estimated £10 million cost of maintaining
order during the operation, which is expected to take several weeks.
At Dale Farm, families have erected barbed wire
fencing and are stockpiling planks, rubble and
tyres with which to build barricades. One Dale
Farm resident, a 58-year-old woman named only as
Nora, told the Travellers’ Times website: “We’ve
things up our sleeves. It will be like Belfast if
they come in here. They haven’t a clue what they
are up against.”  Tony Ball, the leader of
Basildon council, said the proposed eviction of
more than 400 people from 90 traveller families
was “a planning issue not a human rights issue”.
It follows five public inquiries and a judicial
review. Mr Ball said: “We have offered the
families homes in the form of bricks and mortar,
but they have refused these and we now have no
option but to move them on.” In its last report
on Britain, published in 2007, the advisory
committee blamed the problem of illegal traveller
camps on the failure by councils to provide
enough authorised sites and on “hostility among
some people within the local population”. Last
night an advisory council spokesman said the trip had been “very useful”.
+44 (0)7786 952037
http://tonygosling.blip.tv/
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung