Monbiot's conversion, now 'loves' glowing example of Fukushima

chris morton crisscross at evendine.eclipse.co.uk
Wed Mar 23 19:53:42 GMT 2011

On the nuclear thing, the reasons against it have been perfectly clear
for a long time and the one that won't ever go away is the the fact
that it leaves a radioactive mess for future generations.

I was however interested in GMs article at the bit where he produces
some data for energy usage at 1800, something I have speculated about
but never found any data for and I would prefer it for 1780 before the
'industrial' (prefer 'unsustainable') revolution got under way, never
mind the prodigious waste of energy going into the Napoleonic war and
transferring transport of heavy goods from canals to roads.Then there
are all those vast neo-greek houses and their army of near slaves and
all the other toys of the kleptocracy we never needed and never will.

Even allowing for quite a degree of inaccuracy however, it does
underline something most of our current 'thinkers' (sapiens????) don't
want to hear - in order to revert to sustainability, we would have to
abandon a very large proportion of our current activity; most
technology other than 'intermediate' as in Practical Action, was ITDG.
I am not sure that it bothers me, being dampish, coldish and slightly
underfed is not a worry if you have grown up with it. ( I did until
about age 6 { + being shot at} and grossly underfed). But say more
like Tinkers bubble than suburbia. Perhaps we could encourage
immigrants from poor countries to teach us how to manage on nothing?

And whatever George or his sources say, horses are far more energy
efficient than diesel tractors....electric tractors?huh. Then of
course coppice woodland regenerates on a cycle of 7 years, whereas I
think fossil fuels are though to need a few million.