[Diggers350] 'Secrets of the Superbrands', 9pm, BBC3, Tuesday 17th

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Wed May 18 14:36:54 BST 2011

On Tuesday, May 17, 2011 06:17:34 pm Alison wrote:
> cheers, I'll watch that. Glad this was posted - i'll remember this next
> time I'm told my post isnt allowed because it's 'not strictly about
> farming'

If people are not happy with what I post, please tell me for future reference.

Branding is the invisible tie that binds people psychologically to the systems
of modern consumerism. It consist of nothing but a stupid logo, but within
them are bound the aspirational values that embody neoliberalism and the whole
suicide cult of incessant growth within the Earth's finite environment. They
are the key to how the modern world enslaves people to a conceptual "reality"
that's not only destroying the planet, but also the quality of life of those
led, unconsciously, down this absurd pathway.

Like it or not, if we want to change people then we have to understand "them"
-- both the brand concept and the people who "believe" in what they offer -- in
order to explain our 'alternatives' in a way they can relate to. That means
picking apart the whole mind-warping concept of brands, brand loyalty and the
value system that goes with it. Doesn't matter if you're promoting veg-box
schemes, anarchic squats or collective enterprises, if you want to reach the
mass of the public then you have to engage with what make the whole brand
machine tick in order to pull it apart, from the inside out, to make the anti-
consumption/low impact option a true and viable alternative to the present
economic "consensus".

The more I move down the 'low impact'/'living lightly' route the harder I find
it to relate to the whole consumption mind-set -- and I know others who have
similar problems the more they disengage with the "mainstream" of the economic
system. Having read around what the programme sought to cover, I thought that
people on the Diggers list would find the programme a useful insight -- both
into what makes our outlook different, but also as a means of understanding and
reaching out to the poor people locked into this mundane system.

If you want to bring down the system, it helps if you understand its weak
points first!

P.

--

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2011.asc